Subject: [Trans] [trans] #160 (rfc6962-bis): New get-sths API for fetching all STHs in a given time range

From: "trans issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2016 12:56:44 -0000

#160: New get-sths API for fetching all STHs in a given time range

 Paul Hadfield wrote:
 "I have been thinking about how an
 auditor’s task might be easier if Logs were required to retain their
 historic STHs and provide them on request.  It could be done by adding
 an API along the lines of ‘get-sth-at-time’ or ‘get-sths-between-times’.
 (where the first returns the STH with largest timestamp <= the timestamp
 requested, and the second returns a list of STHs with timestamps in
 the range requested).
 Auditors could then retrieve the full STH history of a log without having
 to have collected them over an extended period of time or having to
 exchange them with other auditors - although verifying STHs gathered
 by other parties is still worthwhile to detect split views."

 Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
 "It does seem like a useful feature, yes.  But that utility should
 probably
 be weighed against the added cost for the log operator, which now has to
 retain STH history and provide code to service the new requests.
 That extra cost is probably not very large, but it would nice to have
 other opinions confirming that."

 Eran wrote (off list) that he would want this proposed API to be optional
 for logs to implement.

-- 
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:                           |      Owner:  draft-ietf-trans-
  [email-masked]           |  [email-masked]
     Type:  enhancement              |     Status:  new
 Priority:  minor                    |  Milestone:
Component:  rfc6962-bis              |    Version:
 Severity:  -                        |   Keywords:
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/trans/trac/ticket/160>
trans <https://tools.ietf.org/trans/>

---

From: "trans issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2016 14:05:29 -0000

Changes (by [email-masked]):

 * owner:  [email-masked] =>
     [email-masked]
 * status:  new => assigned

Comment:

 I don't yet know if this'll make it into 6962-bis, but I've prepared a PR:
 https://github.com/google/certificate-transparency-rfcs/pull/200

-- 
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:                           |       Owner:
  [email-masked]           |  [email-masked]
     Type:  enhancement              |      Status:  assigned
 Priority:  minor                    |   Milestone:
Component:  rfc6962-bis              |     Version:
 Severity:  -                        |  Resolution:
 Keywords:                           |
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/trans/trac/ticket/160#comment:1>
trans <https://tools.ietf.org/trans/>