Subject: [Trans] [trans] #161 (rfc6962-bis): Handling high-volume submissions

From: "trans issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2016 14:47:29 -0000

#161: Handling high-volume submissions

 Google's Aviator log recently exceeded its MMD slightly.  This was:
 "caused by the (non-malicious) actions of some high-volume clients.
 Aviator's signer could not sequence the submitted certificate chains
 quickly enough to clear the backlog, exacerbated by the fact our
 protection against flooding did not activate when expected."
 https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msg/ct-policy/ZZf3iryLgCo/mi-
 4ViMiCAAJ

 Inspired by OCSP, I think we should add a "tryLater" error code to add-
 chain and add-pre-chain, so that logs can explicitly communicate the fact
 that they're currently too busy to accept submissions.

-- 
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:                           |      Owner:  draft-ietf-trans-
  [email-masked]           |  [email-masked]
     Type:  enhancement              |     Status:  new
 Priority:  minor                    |  Milestone:
Component:  rfc6962-bis              |    Version:
 Severity:  -                        |   Keywords:
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/trans/trac/ticket/161>
trans <https://tools.ietf.org/trans/>

---

From: "trans issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2016 15:01:28 -0000

Changes (by [email-masked]):

 * owner:  [email-masked] =>
     [email-masked]
 * status:  new => assigned

Comment:

 Proposed PR:
 https://github.com/google/certificate-transparency-rfcs/pull/201

-- 
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:                           |       Owner:
  [email-masked]           |  [email-masked]
     Type:  enhancement              |      Status:  assigned
 Priority:  minor                    |   Milestone:
Component:  rfc6962-bis              |     Version:
 Severity:  -                        |  Resolution:
 Keywords:                           |
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/trans/trac/ticket/161#comment:1>
trans <https://tools.ietf.org/trans/>

---

From: "trans issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2016 16:30:14 -0000

* status:  assigned => closed
 * resolution:   => wontfix

Comment:

 Ryan and Jacob commented on the PR that "tryLater" is unnecessary, because
 we already specify that log servers can return 503 Service Unavailable
 with (optionally) a Retry-After header (see https://github.com/google
 /certificate-transparency-rfcs/blob/master/draft-ietf-trans-
 rfc6962-bis-19.txt#L1281-L1294).

-- 
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------
 Reporter:                           |       Owner:
  [email-masked]           |  [email-masked]
     Type:  enhancement              |      Status:  closed
 Priority:  minor                    |   Milestone:
Component:  rfc6962-bis              |     Version:
 Severity:  -                        |  Resolution:  wontfix
 Keywords:                           |
-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/trans/trac/ticket/161#comment:2>
trans <https://tools.ietf.org/trans/>