Subject: Re: [Trans] [Public Notary Transparency Wiki] #171: Simplify Log IDs

From: "trans issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2017 14:54:25 -0000

#171: Simplify Log IDs
---------------------------+---------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  rlb@…          |       Owner:  draft-ietf-trans-rfc6962-bis@…
     Type:  defect         |      Status:  new
 Priority:  major          |   Milestone:  review
Component:  to-be-decided  |     Version:
 Severity:  -              |  Resolution:
 Keywords:                 |
---------------------------+---------------------------------------------
Changes (by eranm@…):

 * milestone:   => review

Comment:

 From a discussion with the other -bis authors, we've concluded the
 following:
 - OIDs can already be 4 bytes long, so switching to INT32 does not save
 any space.
 - Using INT32 requires asking an ID allocation from IANA for every log,
 even testing logs, since even test logs should have unique identities.
 - "Private" IDs are dangerous: them being used publicly would lead to
 similar issues presented by private MIME types.
 - Clients don't need to parse LogID OIDs, they can treat them as opaque
 blobs.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.ietf.org/trac/trans/ticket/171#comment:3>
Public Notary Transparency  Wiki <https://trac.ietf.org/trac/trans>
My example project

---

From: "trans issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2017 21:03:13 -0000

#171: Simplify Log IDs
---------------------------+---------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  rlb@…          |       Owner:  draft-ietf-trans-rfc6962-bis@…
     Type:  defect         |      Status:  closed
 Priority:  major          |   Milestone:  review
Component:  to-be-decided  |     Version:
 Severity:  -              |  Resolution:  wontfix
 Keywords:                 |
---------------------------+---------------------------------------------
Changes (by melinda.shore@…):

 * status:  new => closed
 * resolution:   => wontfix

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.ietf.org/trac/trans/ticket/171#comment:4>
Public Notary Transparency  Wiki <https://trac.ietf.org/trac/trans>
My example project