Subject: [Trans] Distributed Internet Infrastructure side meeting on Monday

From: Melinda Shore <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 07:56:03 +0200

Hi, all:

Given our work on a gossip protocol and trying to develop a
consistent view of CT logs, it seems likely that some of you
may be interested in this side meeting on Monday.  Note that
this is a potential activity in the IRSG, not the IETF.

We are holding another side meeting on Distributed Internet
Infrastructure at IETF-99. We had some good discussions with interested
folks in and outside the IRTF in the past months and thought that it
might be a good time now to try to start a more structured activity in
the IRTF.

The scope would be “Distributed Internet Infrastructure”, I.e., applying
distributed ledger technologies (such as blockchain, but not limited to
it) to Internet technologies, for example to decentralized name
registries, identity management, decentralized web etc.

We have some people looking at the topic from different angles, i.e.,
IoT, decentralized web, Internet architecture and think that there is an
interesting and potentially very productive scope we could work in the IRTF.

The meeting to discuss this will be a side meeting on Monday, July 17,
18:50 to 20:50 in the Tyrolka room of the Hilton hotel (meeting hotel).

The agenda (as of current planning):

1) Background and Purpose
2) Selected Use Cases and Related Efforts
- Decentralized OAuth
- IoT
- COALA.global
3) Ledger Technology
4) Next steps, RG Formation

We’ll post agenda details, updated etc. on
https://trac.ietf.org/trac/irtf/wiki/blockchain-federation