Subject: [Trans] Clarity regarding timestamp definition

From: Fotis Loukos <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2018 16:01:55 +0300

Hello everybody,
during my study of rfc6962, I noticed the definition of timestamp at
section 3.2:

"timestamp" is the current NTP Time [RFC5905], measured since the
epoch (January 1, 1970, 00:00), ignoring leap seconds, in
milliseconds.

Per RFC5905, there are 3 different NTP times, each one with a different
size (RFC5905 section 6). Of course, somebody who will notice that the
timestamp is an uint64 will assume that the NTP time used is the 64-bit
one, but I believe that the wording "current time in 64-bit timestamp
NTP Time format" is better than simply "current NTP Time".

Furthermore, even if NTP Time is assumed to be in big-endian ordering, I
think that some clarity on this would be helpful for people implementing
CT libraries.

Kind regards,
Fotis Loukos

-- 
Fotis Loukos, PhD
Director of Security Architecture
SSL Corp
e: [email-masked]
w: https://www.ssl.com

---

From: Paul Wouters <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2018 10:02:42 -0400 (EDT)

> think that some clarity on this would be helpful for people implementing

The same text still appears in the bis document:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-trans-rfc6962-bis-28#section-4.7

So if the WG feels this needs clarifying, we should do this soon.

Paul