Subject: [rbridge] draft-gibanez-trill-abridge-00.txt

From: gibanez at it.uc3m.es (Guillermo Ibáñez)
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 10:50:21 +0100

I have submitted  a draft (see below), with a proposal able to scale 
to large Ethernet campus networks, based on multiple self-rooted 
spanning trees (AMSTP protocol),  two  hierarchical spanning tree layers 
(AMSTP and RSTP), and optional  ARP  server/registrars.  To prevent 
confusion with Rbridges, I use the term Abridges (Alternative or 
Adaptive Routing Bridges).  I hope you will find it interesting.
Regards
Guillermo

Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 15:50:01 -0500
From: Internet-Drafts at ietf.org <mailto:Internet-Drafts at ietf.org>
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-gibanez-trill-abridge-00

To: i-d-announce at ietf.org <mailto:i-d-announce at ietf.org>
Message-ID: <E1EkpBp-0006TE-PP at newodin.ietf.org 
<mailto:E1EkpBp-0006TE-PP at newodin.ietf.org>>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

       Title           : Abridges as Rbridges: Transparent Routing with  
Simplified Multiple Spanning Trees
       Author(s)       : G. Ibanez, et al.
       Filename        : draft-gibanez-trill-abridge-00.txt
       Pages           : 17
       Date            : 2005-12-9

Rbridges are link layer devices that use routing protocols as a control
plane but do not target to scale up to large campus networks. This
document contains an alternative proposal to link-state Rbridges, named
Abridges. Abridges overcome Rbridges L2 network size restrictions
allowing applicability to very large Ethernet campus networks while
maintaining zero configuration and high performance, by assuming a
topological restriction that is automatically performed. The proposal
includes a two-layered network architecture with two hierarchical
independent spanning tree layers. Expected convergence is fast, probably
below two seconds.

Abridges use multiple simplified spanning trees rooted at core edge
bridges  to  achieve  results  comparable  to  Rbridges  with  lower
computational complexity. Two implementation variants of simplified
multiple spanning trees are proposed: The first one is a fundamental
simplification of the standard Multiple Spanning Tree protocol and the
second one (still in a very preliminary stage) consists of an N-multiple
simultaneous execution of the Rapid Spanning Tree protocol at each
Rbridge.
An optional mechanism of ARP/Abridge servers/registrars (with load
splitting) is proposed to limit ARP traffic in large scale Ethernet
networks and to enhance scalability and security. This mechanism can
 also be used for host-Designated Rbridge resolution as an alternative
 to the interchange of Hosts Lists between Rbridges.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gibanez-trill-abridge-00.txt 
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gibanez-trill-abridge-00.txt>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.postel.org/pipermail/rbridge/attachments/20051210/0c3690b5/attachment.html