Subject: [rbridge] (R)bridging dissimilar media

From: harald at alvestrand.no (Harald Tveit Alvestrand)
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 09:22:33 +0100

How dissimilar were you thinking of?

My immediate thought is that the media has to offer the Ethernet service 
model, which means support for multicast & broadcast, so ATM won't qualify, 
but 802.11 will....

--On 30. november 2005 08:17 -0800 "Templin, Fred L" 
<Fred.L.Templin at boeing.com> wrote:

> Does the TRILL approach extend to support (R)bridging of
> dissimilar media?
>
> Fred
> fred.l.templin at boeing.com
> _______________________________________________
> rbridge mailing list
> rbridge at postel.org
> http://www.postel.org/mailman/listinfo/rbridge
>
>

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 187 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://www.postel.org/pipermail/rbridge/attachments/20051201/4d5661fe/attachment.bin

---

From: gibanez at it.uc3m.es (Guillermo Ibáñez)
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 10:30:47 +0100

802.11 would be worth a detailed analysis (to be included in the draft). 
One aspect is the inter Access Point communication for tracking movin 
endnodes (stations). For instance, consider the scenario when a station 
moves from the reach of one Access Point to another AP area, the "new" 
AP broadcasts  the new station in the fixed network, the DR shall learn 
this new endnode and include in its host list announcements.  "Previous" 
AP shall cancel the endnode from his announced host list. It also 
applies to fixed networks case. The simultaneous announcement of a 
specific host by two Rbridges may be  solved by selecting as owner of 
host the Rbridge with most recent announcement of the two.
Guillermo

Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

> My immediate thought is that the media has to offer the Ethernet 
> service model, which means support for multicast & broadcast, so ATM 
> won't qualify, but 802.11 will....
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

-- 
Guillermo Ib??ez
Departamento de Ingenier?a Telem?tica
Universidad Carlos III de Madrid
1.1.B.11 Colmenarejo 91-6241393
4.1.F.13 Legan?s 91-6248794

---

From: spencer at mcsr-labs.org (Spencer Dawkins)
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 09:59:13 -0600

Fred,

Just so I understand the question, are you thinking of dissimilar media from 
one side of an RBRIDGE to the other, or are you thinking of dissimilar media 
from one side of an RBRIDGE campus (dare I use this word?) to the other - a 
slightly broader question?

Thanks,

Spencer