Subject: [rbridge] PS issue #7

From: spencer at mcsr-labs.org (Spencer Dawkins)
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 13:53:05 -0600

I'm coming up with a big "huh?" on this one...

#7 differentiate between host reattachment effects
   and bridge reattachment effects; the latter impact the STP more

Host attachment doesn't impact STP at all, does it? I thought that was the 
whole point of aging filtering table entries (since STP doesn't actually 
know that my laptop has moved, so bridges that were properly filtering my 
packets out until I moved are continuing to filter them out after I moved, 
and I'm waiting for bridges to either learn where I am now from packets that 
I'm now transmitting or forget where I used to be (if I'm not transmitting 
any traffic).

Please correct me if I'm misunderstanding this...

Thanks,

Spencer

---

From: touch at ISI.EDU (Joe Touch)
Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 12:07:45 -0800

> Please correct me if I'm misunderstanding this...

Bridge reattachment affects STP, but host reattachment affects the
caches at the edge. They affect different aspects of the stability of
forwarding overall. (I can update the issue item to reflect this - the
document does not yet differentiate these issues though).

Joe