Subject: [rbridge] RSTP BRIDGE not receiving BPDUs

From: Donald.Eastlake at motorola.com (Eastlake III Donald-LDE008)
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 01:36:56 -0400

I believe that if any of STP, RSTP, or MSTP is enabled on a port, then
BPDUs will be sent periodically regardless of whether any BPDUs are
being received.
 
Donald

________________________________

From: Amit Gupta [mailto:Amit.Gupta at calix.com] 
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2007 11:28 PM
To: Eastlake III Donald-LDE008
Cc: rbridge at postel.org
Subject: RE: [rbridge] RSTP BRIDGE not receiving BPDUs

The scenario here is that the2 bridges are connected in a ring topology
with eaps providing the ring protection while RSTP is providing the
uplink/downlink protection. The reason the other port is not receiving
the BPDU is because the EAPS is blocking one of the links to avoid loops
in the ring.Thus even though the each bridge has 2 paths 2 reach the
other but at any given time will only be able to receive BPDU from the
path that is not blocked by EAPS. so thats why I was wondering what
state/role would be the port that is not receiving the BPDU. 
Will it keep sending the Hello BPDU even though it is not receiving any
?

________________________________

From: Eastlake III Donald-LDE008 [mailto:Donald.Eastlake at motorola.com]
Sent: Thu 8/23/2007 6:28 PM
To: Amit Gupta
Cc: rbridge at postel.org
Subject: RE: [rbridge] RSTP BRIDGE not receiving BPDUs

Well, I'm sure there are people on this list who could help you but this
is really not the 802.1 mailing list, which would seem more appropriate.
 
It is a generally characteristic of STP protocols that the loss of
frames leads to ports becoming enabled. So, while I am not an RSTP
expert, I would guess that in the normal case the port not receiving
BPDUs would end up in Forwarding state and would believe itself to be
root unless their is a better root visible out some other port...
 
But I could be wrong and maybe I am misunderstanding you.... I am
assuming you mean "2 bridges are interconnected and of the 2 ports only
1 port on *one* bridge is receiving BPDU's" but in your statement in the
message below, you say "each" rather than "one" which seems
inconsistent.
 
On wonders what is blocking the BPDUs and why the one hop physical link
between the bridges is letting BPDUs through in only on direction and
not the other...
 
Donald

________________________________

From: rbridge-bounces at postel.org [mailto:rbridge-bounces at postel.org] On
Behalf Of Amit Gupta
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2007 8:21 PM
To: rbridge at postel.org
Subject: Re: [rbridge] RSTP BRIDGE not receiving BPDUs

It is a very basic question. What would be the state and role of a port
if you stop receiving the RSTP BPDU's on that bridge port.

If 2 bridges are interconnected and of the 2 ports only 1 port on each
bridge is receiving BPDU's , will that cause any issues ?

Thanks,

-A

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://mailman.postel.org/pipermail/rbridge/attachments/20070917/a34043da/attachment.html