Subject: [rbridge] Implementation requirements of dynamic VLAN registration in IEEE 802.1VLAN bridging standards

From: "Eastlake III Donald-LDE008" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 13:54:24 -0400

Hi,

I just wanted to make crystal clear why I believe that the IEEE 802.1
VLAN bridging standards mandate support for dynamic VLAN registration.

The current baseline IEEE 802.1 Virtual Bridged LAN standard document is
IEEE 802.1Q-2005. Under that document, implementation of the GVRP VLAN
registration protocol is mandatory. In particular, in 802.1Q-2005
general description Section 5.3, it says (where "shall" means
mandatory):

"An implementation of a VLAN-aware Bridge shall ... Allow automatic
configuration and management of VLAN topology using the Generic
Attribute Registration Protocol (GARP) VLAN Registration Protocol (GVRP)
(Clause 11) on all Ports; ..."

and in the conformance statement annex (PICS) whose purpose is to give
levels of implementation requirement, the feature is expressed as: "Does
the implementation support the ability to perform automatic
configuration and management of VLAN topology information by means of
GVRP on all Ports?" and the Status is M (mandatory).

There are approved amendments that have been adopted to 802.1Q-2005, but
not yet rolled into the base document, including IEEE 802.1ak-2007. This
amendment blows away GARP and GVRP and substitutes MRP and MVRP. In
particular, the corresponding general Section (now 5.4 due to another
amendment) says:

"An implementation of a VLAN-aware Bridge component shall ... Allow
automatic configuration and management of VLAN topology using the
Multiple VLAN Registration Protocol (MVRP) (5.4.2, Clause 11) on all
Ports; ..."

and in the 802.1ak-2007 PICS, the feature is expressed as "Is automatic
configuration and management of VLAN topology using MVRP supported?" and
the Status is M (mandatory).

So, as far as I can see, any bridge that claims 802.1Q compliance is
required to implement dynamic VLAN registration and if it claims
compliance with the current standard, it is required to implement MVRP.

Thanks,
Donald

Acronyms:
	GARP = General Attribute Registration Protocol
	GVRP = GARP VLAN Registration Protocol
	MRP = Multiple Registration Protocol
	MVRP = Multiple VLAN Registration Protocol
	PICS = Protocol Implementation Conformance Statement
	VLAN = Virtual Local Area Network

====================================================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd      +1-508-786-7554 (work)
 Motorola Laboratories
 111 Locke Drive
 Marlborough, MA 01752 USA
 [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
rbridge mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.postel.org/mailman/listinfo/rbridge