Subject: Re: [rbridge] Proposed resolution: Re: encoding of TRILL IS-IS frames

From: James Carlson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 08:54:38 -0500

Jim Burrows writes:
> I'll have to agree with Jim Carlson with regard to the notion of "Foo  
> over X" documents and specs whose scope intermingles one specific  
> protocol from one level into a specification at another level. I'm new  
> here, and I don't know how far folks may have gotten in implementing  
> the draft 10 spec, vs the 09 or the 11, but it also feels wrong to  
> stick with a problem that crept into a latish but not final draft of  
> the spec fore backward compatibility reasons. I've had to live with  
> the sort of problems that this introduces too often.
> 
> Is it really too late to fix this?

Yes, that's essentially what has been said.  It appeared in -10 and
it's already too late in -11 to fix it.

Just to make it clear (since the follow-up above seems to suggest that
it's not): although I have misgivings about the direction being taken,
and the direction is already causing me design headaches in a
previously known-working implementation, I was _not_ requesting a
change in direction.  Instead, I was expressing support for Radia's
solution, explicitly because (a) I've had my say and (b) I need
agreement to move forward.

-- 
James Carlson, Solaris Networking              <[email-masked]>
Sun Microsystems / 35 Network Drive        71.232W   Vox +1 781 442 2084
MS UBUR02-212 / Burlington MA 01803-2757   42.496N   Fax +1 781 442 1677
_______________________________________________
rbridge mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.postel.org/mailman/listinfo/rbridge

---

From: Jim Burrows <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 12:28:26 -0500

No problem. I'm a late comer to this party and shared your concerns,
so I thought it worth asking if it was too late to do anything. If it
is, then that's life and we move on.

Thanks,
JimB.

On Mar 2, 2009, at 9:28 AM, "James Carlson" <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> James Carlson, Solaris Networking              <[email-masked]
> >