Subject: [rbridge] With short and long hellos, should we send Hellos twice as often?

From: Radia Perlman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 18:39:55 -0700

A few weeks ago, James Carlson noted that there was a problem because 
IS-IS pads hellos to "maximum length"
and if some RBridge overestimates "maximum", Hellos won't get through, 
causing bad things to happen.

So we decided (and it's in the current version of the spec) to have two 
kinds of Hellos -- big ones to test max PDU,
and little ones to ensure there aren't multiple RBridges thinking they 
are DRB.

What we didn't specify is how often each type of Hello should be sent.

Various options:

a) alternate big and little Hellos, with the same timer as before
b) alternate big and little Hellos, with each having the same timer as 
before (meaning you'd
send twice as many)

Radia
_______________________________________________
rbridge mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.postel.org/mailman/listinfo/rbridge