Subject: [rbridge] A different wording question related to Hellos

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 13:12:26 -0400

The current -12 protocol specification draft has some wording in it
that has been bothering me: the phrase "five Hellos times".

Actually, there is no such thing as a "Hello time". There is just a
"holding time". Different implementations send different numbers of
Hellos per holding time. Although the I believe the ISO standard says
you should send ten, many implementations send five or even three. If
you hear no Hellos for the holding time of the sender, you declare
them dead.

I believe that all occurrences of "five Hellos times" or the like in
the draft should be replace with "the holding time" or the like and,
in each case, it needs to be made clear whether it is the holding time
of the RBridge taking the action or the holding time that was in a
Hellos received by that RBridge.

Are there are objections or suggestions related to this wording change?

Thanks,
Donald
=============================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-634-2066 (home)
 155 Beaver Street
 Milford, MA 01757 USA
 [email-masked]
_______________________________________________
rbridge mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.postel.org/mailman/listinfo/rbridge