Subject: [rbridge] 'IANA Considerations for Network Layer Protocol Identifiers' to BCP

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 20:49:18 -0500

The BCP mentioned below memorializes the allocation of 0xC0 as the NLPID for
TRILL. Although not directly referenced in the TRILL base protocol, this
would be used, for example, in the IS-IS Protocols Supported TLV.

Thanks,
Donald
=============================
Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-634-2066 (home)
155 Beaver Street
Milford, MA 01757 USA
[email-masked]

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 1:40 PM
Subject: Protocol Action: 'IANA Considerations for Network Layer Protocol
Identifiers' to BCP
To: IETF-Announce <[email-masked]>
Cc: Internet Architecture Board <[email-masked]>, RFC Editor <
[email-masked]>

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'IANA Considerations for Network Layer Protocol Identifiers '
  <draft-eastlake-nlpid-iana-considerations-04.txt> as a BCP

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Dan Romascanu.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-eastlake-nlpid-iana-considerations-04.txt

Technical Summary

 Network Layer Protcol IDs (NLPIDs) are used in a number of
 protocols that the IETF has specified or is extending. Examples
 include the NBMA Next Hop Resolution Protocol and the IS-IS
 Protocols Supported TLV. The registry of these values is maintained
 by ISO/IEC. This document provides the IANA Considerations
 procedures for originating and documenting the allocation of an
 NLPID from within the IETF.

Working Group Summary

 This document was not produced by an IETF working group but is
 supported by a clear consensus of the community of interest.

Document Quality

 The document has been reviewed by the IETF TRILL and IS-IS working
 group chairs, the Internet and Routing ADs, the IETF Chair, the
 Editor of IEEE P802.1aq, IANA, the IETF Liaison to ISO/IEC JTC1
 SC6, and other technical experts. Document quality is high.

Personnel

  Dan Romascanu is the Responsible Area Director.

RFC Editor Note

1. Please add the following to the first paragraph in Section 2.3

"One byte code points are assigned to TRILL and IEEE 802.1aq as they are
intended for use within the IS-IS Protocols Supported TLV [RFC1195]."

2. In Section 3:

OLD:

 As long as code points are available, IANA will allocate additional
  values when required by an IETF Standards Action.

NEW:

 As long as code points are available, IANA will allocate additional
  values when required by applying IETF Review policy as per [RFC5226].

3. Move [TRILL] from Informative to Normative References

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
_______________________________________________
rbridge mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.postel.org/mailman/listinfo/rbridge