Subject: [rbridge] TRILL MIB

From: Kate Zebrose <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 21:38:56 -0500

Anil,
Thank you for your input on the MIB.  I have included specific
responses below with my initials, but for the most part your input is
great.  Regarding the IS-IS protocol, I did look at RFC4444 for this
MIB, but have not had experience with it otherwise.  I agree it would
be helpful if we could find someone with IS-IS experience to help with
the MIB.  I would be happy to look at your version when it is
available.

- Kate Zebrose

from	Anil Rijhsinghani <[email-masked]>
to	Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>,
Radia Perlman <[email-masked]>,
Kate Zebrose <[email-masked]>,
Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
date	Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 10:01 AM
subject	TRILL MIB
mailed-by	charter.net

Hi,

Based on my reading of the TRILL-14 spec and the MIB published by Kate
and Don, as well as  the latest Bridge MIBs (RFCs 4188 and 4363),
several objects need to be added, roughly described below:

- TRILL version supported
KZ-sounds good, should we have MIB version as well?
- Designated VLAN - used; desired; priority
- Appointed VLAN-x forwarder list
- Distribution trees: Root priority; how many in use; desired number;
max computable; tree numbers and nicknames; trees used at ingress
- ESADI: supported or not; per-VLAN enable; ESADI virtual link DRB;
MAC addresses; confidence
- Filtering Database new objects (to existing Bridge MIB): Nickname of
associated Rbridge; Confidence level; how was MAC address learned
- Port state new: Inhibited
KZ- oops, I was suppose to add this after a long port state
discussion, it looks like I left it off.  I will forward an email on
this topic I got from Donald that you might find helpful.

- STP: BPDUs received/detected; Root; number of root changes
- Announcing-VLANs set
- Inhibition time
KZ - is this different from the aging time?
- List of root bridges for VLAN-x
- TRILL neighbor list
- IGMP/MLD/MRD learned info
- Pseudonode: suppressed flag; anything else not covered by IS-IS
- MTU - desired; per-link; campus-wide; Number of tries before fail;
Failed MTU test flag
- Enable/disable learning per-VLAN/per-port/native/TRILL
- VLAN mapping
- counters (new per-port): RPF checks failed; hop-counts exceeded;
TRILL frames received; TRILL frames transmitted
- ECMP: unicast/multicast enable/disable (what else?)

In addition, several objects in this MIB appear to be redundant, based
on existing bridge MIBs and Interface MIB, in which there's a lot of
management information relevant to Rbridges. I'll try to address each
of these, with a pointer to where they are in other MIBs.
-KZ - I tried to reference objects in existing MIBs rather than create
new objects.  When I see your draft I will see if there were reasons I
didn't think I could use existing objects.

Further, configuration support will be added, as in the existing
bridge and other MIBs. SNMPv3 config has support for
encryption/authentication and is used widely, however even if a vendor
or customer decide to use a different mechanism to configure, this MIB
will contain the configurable objects.

I'll also plan to write up descriptions of all the parts of existing
bridges MIBs applicable to Rbridges, and which aren't. This is
required anyway in the text up front, "Relationship to other MIBs".

As part of this, I'm running into things not part of standard IS-IS
which need to be clarified. For example, what's the frequency of ESADI
PDUs? TRILL Hellos? If configurable, they need to be in the MIB. The
volume of hellos may be quite high, especially with a large number of
VLANs.

I haven't studied the IS-IS MIB (RFC4444) to find exactly what
portions of it are fully applicable to TRILL; what isn't; and what
needs to supplemented. I'd suggest that Kate, or someone else familiar
with the IS-IS protocol and MIB, look into that piece if possible.
KZ- I tried to address this issue in section 6.3 where I reviewed the
IS-IS MIB and detailed what I thought was required and how it needed
to be modified.

I'll work on adding support for the above and should have a version
out by end of next week. Please let me know of any comments. I'm sure
we'll rev this a few times as we get through some discussion on it.

Regards,
Anil
_______________________________________________
rbridge mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.postel.org/mailman/listinfo/rbridge