Subject: [rbridge] Starting to think about re-chartering TRILL

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 10:49:40 -0700

I'll present an initial strawman of an updated charter in the WG later 
today. I've included it here so folks can read it in advance.

Description of Working Group:

   The TRILL WG has specified a solution for shortest-path frame routing in
   multi-hop IEEE 802.1-compliant Ethernet networks with arbitrary
   topologies, using an existing link-state routing protocol technology
   and encapsulation with a hop count.
   [Add reference to RFC?]

   The current work of the working group is around operational and 
deployment
   support for the protocol. This includes a MIB and other pieces needed
   for operations, but also extensions to handle the characteristics of
   the networks in which there is a desire to deploy TRILL.

   The WG will work on the following items:

   (1) A MIB for TRILL which specifies the unique pieces needed for the
   protocol while reusing what is in the IS-IS MIB and the Bridge
   MIB for pieces that are not unique to TRILL.

   (2) Support for VLAN mapping between different regions of an RBridge
   campus that will require configuration only at border RBridges.

   (3) Refinement of the TRILL Header Options feature and specification
   of an initial base set of options.

   (4) Write up how Operations and Management (OAM) will be handled in
   networks using TRILL.

   (5) Determine how TRILL will support the various pieces of the IEEE
   802.1 "Data Center Bridging" cluster of standards.

Goals and Milestones:
   Done     - Accept base protocol specification as a WG document
   Done     - Accept problem statement and applicability as a WG work
              item
   Done     - Start work with routing area WG(s) to undertake TRILL
              extensions
   Done     - Accept architecture document as a WG work item
   Done     - Accept routing protocol requirements as a WG work item
   Done     - Choose routing protocol(s) that can meet the requirements
   Done     - Submit problem statement and applicability to IESG for
              Informational RFC
   Done     - Submit base protocol specification to IEEE/IETF expert
              review
   Done     - Base protocol specification submitted to the IESG for
              publication as a Proposed Standard RFC
   Done     - First draft showing what is needed for MIB
   Jul 2010 - Re-charter or shut down the WG

NEW:
   Done     - Initial WG draft on VLAN Mapping
   Done     - Initial WG draft TRILL Header Options
   ??? 2010 - Submit VLAN Mapping to IESG for publication as Proposed 
Standard
   ??? 2010 - Submit RBridge MIB to IESG for publication as Proposed 
Standard
   ??? 2010 - Submit TRILL Header Options to IESG for publication as
              Proposed Standard
   ??? 2010 - Initial WG draft for RBridge support of Data Center Bridging
   ??? 2010 - Initial WG draft on RBridge OAM

---

_______________________________________________
rbridge mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.postel.org/mailman/listinfo/rbridge

---

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 13:15:16 -0400

Hi,

Wearing my co-chair hat, I think the posting to the mailing list justify
adding ARP/ND optimization  the draft Charter text. I'd also like to
generalize the "data center" item a bit since there seems to be a little
controversy at the Anaheim meeting as to what was intended. And, if we want
a Charter that will be stable for some time, I'm thinking we should add
doing an interoperability report as support for advancement to draft
standard. I've also taken a stab at some milestone dates.

So, below is a revised draft, which is still fully open for discussion,
suggestions, and comments.

Thanks,
Donald

  The TRILL WG has specified a solution for shortest-path frame
  routing in multi-hop IEEE 802.1-compliant Ethernet networks with
  arbitrary topologies, using an existing link-state routing protocol
  technology and encapsulation with a hop count.  [Add reference to
  RFC?]

  The current work of the working group is around operational and
  deployment support for the protocol. This includes a MIB and other
  pieces needed for operations, but also extensions to handle the
  characteristics of the networks in which there is a desire to deploy
  TRILL.

  (5) Determine how TRILL will provide improved support for data
  centers such as support of the IEEE 802.1 "Data Center Bridging"
  standards.

  (6) Addition of optional support for ARP / Neighbor Discovery
  optimization.

  (7) Document interoperability test results of protocol
  implementations.

Goals and Milestones:

NEW:

  Jun 2010 - Submit VLAN Mapping to IESG for publication as Proposed
             Standard

  Oct 2010 - Submit RBridge MIB to IESG for publication as Proposed
             Standard

  Aug 2010 - Submit TRILL Header Options to IESG for publication as
             Proposed Standard

  Oct 2010 - Initial WG draft for RBridge support of Data Center
             Bridging

  Oct 2010 - Initial WG draft on RBridge OAM
_______________________________________________
rbridge mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.postel.org/mailman/listinfo/rbridge

---

From: Jukka Manner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 22:02:27 +0300

Hi, did I miss it, or was the ND/ARP extension missing from the milestones?

regards,
Jukka

On 31.3.2010 20:15, Donald Eastlake wrote:
> controversy at the Anaheim meeting as to what was intended. And, if we
> want a Charter that will be stable for some time, I'm thinking we should
> add doing an interoperability report as support for advancement to draft

---

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 15:27:17 -0400

Yes, I added it as Item (6) in the Charter Body but there didn't add a
milestone. We can certainly do so and you should feel free to suggest
wording. But it is also true that you don't have to have milestones for all
the documents a WG produces...

Thanks,
Donald
=============================
Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
155 Beaver Street   +1-508-634-2066 (home)
Milford, MA 01757 USA
[email-masked]