Subject: [rbridge] Updated charter

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 May 2010 23:36:52 -0700

Based on the comments on the mailing list, here is the updated charter.

Description of Working Group:

   The TRILL WG has specified a solution for shortest-path frame
   routing in multi-hop IEEE 802.1-compliant Ethernet networks with
   arbitrary topologies, using an existing link-state routing protocol
   technology and encapsulation with a hop count.
   [Add reference to RFC?]

   The current work of the working group is around operational and
   deployment support for the protocol. This includes a MIB and other
   pieces needed for operations, but also additional ways to extend and
   optimize TRILL for the properties of the networks on which it is 
deployed.

   The WG will work on the following items:

   (1) A MIB for TRILL which specifies the unique pieces needed for the
   protocol while reusing what is in the IS-IS MIB and the IEEE 802.1
   MIB modules for pieces that are not unique to TRILL.

   (2) Addition of optional support for ARP / Neighbor Discovery
   optimization.

   (3) Refinement of the TRILL Header Options feature and specification
   of an initial base set of options.

   (4) Support for RBridge campus VLAN regions, such that the same VLAN
   ID can have different meanings in different regions, requiring
   configuration only at border RBridges.

   (5) Write up how Operations and Management (OAM) will be handled in
   networks using TRILL.

   (6) Determine how TRILL will provide improved support for data
   centers such as support of the IEEE 802.1 "Data Center Bridging"
   standards.

   (7) Document interoperability test results of protocol
   implementations.

Goals and Milestones:
   Done     - Accept base protocol specification as a WG document
   Done     - Accept problem statement and applicability as a WG work
              item
   Done     - Start work with routing area WG(s) to undertake TRILL
              extensions
   Done     - Accept architecture document as a WG work item
   Done     - Accept routing protocol requirements as a WG work item
   Done     - Choose routing protocol(s) that can meet the requirements
   Done     - Submit problem statement and applicability to IESG for
              Informational RFC
   Done     - Submit base protocol specification to IEEE/IETF expert
              review
   Done     - Base protocol specification submitted to the IESG for
              publication as a Proposed Standard RFC
   Done     - First draft showing what is needed for MIB

NEW:
   Done     - Initial WG draft on VLAN Mapping
   Done     - Initial WG draft TRILL Header Options
   Jul 2010 - Initial WG draft on ARP/ND optimizations
   Aug 2010 - Submit TRILL Header Options to IESG for publication as
              Proposed Standard
   Aug 2010 - Submit Rbridge Campus VLAN Regions to IESG for publication
              as Proposed Standard
   Oct 2010 - Submit RBridge MIB to IESG for publication as Proposed
              Standard
   Oct 2010 - Initial WG draft for RBridge support of Data Center
              Bridging
   Oct 2010 - Initial WG draft on RBridge OAM
   Jul 2011 - Re-charter or shut down the WG
_______________________________________________
rbridge mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.postel.org/mailman/listinfo/rbridge

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 06:22:56 -0400

This proposed charter mostly looks OK.  In (6), "improved support"  
relative to what?

- Ralph

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 08:11:55 -0700

> This proposed charter mostly looks OK.  In (6), "improved support"  

Relative to the currently specified TRILL protocol suite, IMO.

Joe