Subject: [rbridge] C Bit Clarification

From: "David Michael Bond" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 16:03:40 -0400

Hello Everyone,

I have a question regarding the draft. It's just a minor clarification.

Section 4.1.1 says:

The "C" bit shown in Figure 4.2 is not used in TRILL. It MUST be set to zero
and is ignored by receivers.

In a transit RBridge situation if an RBridge receives a TRILL data frame
with the C bit set to one in either the Outer or Inner VLAN should it
transparently forward the frame or clear the C bit?

Also, I believe "[802.1Qad] S-tags, ." Should be "[802.1ad] S-tags, ."

Thanks,

David

                    David Bond                    

.~~~~~.~~~~~.~~~~~.~~~~~~.~~~~~~.~~~~~.~~~~~.~~~~~.
.University of New Hampshire                      .
.    - InterOperability Laboratory                .
.        Research and Development Software Eng.   .
.        Routing & Bridge Functions Consortiums   .
.    - Computer Science PhD Student               .
. 121 Technology Drive, Suite 2, Durham NH, 03824 .
.    (O) 1-603-862-3525     (M) 1-603-845-7514    .

.     http://mokon.net    http://iol.unh.edu      .
.~~~~~.~~~~~.~~~~~.~~~~~~.~~~~~~.~~~~~.~~~~~.~~~~~. 

_______________________________________________
rbridge mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.postel.org/mailman/listinfo/rbridge

---

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 16:49:47 -0400

Hi David,

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 4:03 PM, David Michael Bond
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I have a question regarding the draft. It’s just a minor clarification.
>
>
>
> Section 4.1.1 says:
>

I think this is mostly talking about the Inner.VLAN.

Although TRILL specifies the Outer VLAN ID and priority (which affects
queuing) to be used if a frame is sent tagged, it runs above 802.1Q
ports. For 802.3, which is what the standard focuses on, the C bit
should be clear, but I suspect the bit would just be ignored on
receipt, if it were a 1, by most existing 802.1Q/802.3 ports. However,
for more exotic link types, like 802.5, which I don't know much about
and which are not covered by the TRILL standard, I think you might
have to set the C (actually CFI) bit in the Outer.VLAN.

For the Inner.VLAN, I think transit RBridges should just transparently
forward it.

> Also, I believe “[802.1Qad] S-tags, …” Should be “[802.1ad] S-tags, …”

Yes. Only [802.1ad] appears in the References, so this should be caught later.

Thanks,
Donald