Subject: Re: [rbridge] MTU size

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 08:49:10 -0400

Hi Vishwas,

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 11:21 PM, Vishwas Manral <[email-masked]> wrote:
>  Hi,
>
> Section 4.3.1 states that
>
>   The campus-wide value of Sz is the smallest value of Sz advertised by
>   any RBridge.
>
>  Once Sz is known, all RBridges MUST
>   format their link state information messages to be in chunks of size
>   at most Sz.
>
> The above seems to assume that the size of all devices is known before
> any LSP's are generated. However in the normal case it may never
> happen. Assume 2 Rbridges come up first and then the otehrs come in
> after that. At what time is Sz defined and used?

Like most everything else to do with the link state database, each
RBridge does the best it can with the data it has. Sz is always
defined for every RBridge in the campus and each RBridge uses what
they believe Sz to be. Perhaps there could be an editorial change to
improve the wording.

> I think using MTU 1470 is the best option and any other value used
> should be configured rather than derived. oes it make sense?

draft-ietf-trill-rbridge-protocol-16 is an approved standard and not
subject to technical change except in extraordinary circumstances. If
you would like to suggest changes for a subsequent successor document,
you are free to do so. Given the number of implementations underway,
there may be resistance to incompatible changes.

> Thanks,
> Vishwas

Thanks,
Donald

_______________________________________________
rbridge mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.postel.org/mailman/listinfo/rbridge