Subject: Re: [rbridge] TRILL Hello

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2010 12:21:46 -0400

Hi Vishwas,

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 12:16 AM, Vishwas Manral <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hi Donald/ Radia,
>
> I would like to understand the TRILL Hellos a bit better. If I
> understood TRILL Hellos correctly, we will now have a range just like
> in CSNP to tell a neighbor the range of neighbors in a TRILL Hello. So
> we could have multiple TRILL Hello's going out in a Hello period.

Yes but it was always possible to have extra Hellos sent out due to
changing information or whatever.

> Whenever a neighbor receives a Hello it sees if it is mentioned in the
> neighbors and it uses the two-way check for advertizing in its LSP's.
> Assume a 3-way handshake has happened. Now with multiple Hellos assume
> we never get the range where my system ID is mentioned but get other
> Hellos, we reset the router dead interval, however we will still

Why are you assuming a broken RBridge? "never" getting the range where
your MAC address (not systemID) is mentioned is not an allowed
behavior. If you assume terrible behavior on the part of an IS, all
kinds of bad things can happen. With IS-IS Hellos, an IS can legally
send you Hellos to establish adjacency with an 18-hour+ holding time
and them just stop sending Hellos for 18 hours during which time you
don't know if it is still there or not.

> advertize the neighbor even though we do not know if it has us in its
> neighbor list yet or not. Do you think we should now have a seperate
> timer for hold time based on when we see ourselves in the neighbors
> hellps?

There doesn't seem to be a need for the additional complexity.

> Thanks,
> Vishwas

Thanks,
Donald
_______________________________________________
rbridge mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.postel.org/mailman/listinfo/rbridge