Subject: [rbridge] BFD related comments

From: Vishwas Manral <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 09:30:33 -0800

Hi Stewart,

I got to know your comments related to BFD on the mailing list.

Stewart: Why 2 different BFD channels while only one in PWE3?
VM> MPLS/ VCCV OAM does not support BFD echo mode at all. It does not
support echo because there is no way to do automatic echo in MPLS. The
loopback functionality is defined for a similar purpose. BFD echo is a
feature of the base protocol which can be easily supported in TRILL
and so it is.

Stewart: Use MPLS based OAM as far as possible. See what is happening
in the MPLS world.
VM> MPLS does not define BFD, it uses BFD and just provides MPLS
encapsulation, we have done the same for TRILL (we possibly cannot use
BFD encapsulation for TRILL).

As the addressing mechanisms in MPLS and TRILL are different we have
tried to use mechanisms from MPLS, Ethernet OAM and plain IP to define
the OAM.

Thanks,
Vishwas
_______________________________________________
rbridge mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.postel.org/mailman/listinfo/rbridge