Subject: [trill] WG Review: Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links (trill)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 08:05:41 -0700

The Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links (trill) working group in
the Internet Area of the IETF is undergoing rechartering. The IESG has
not made any determination yet. The following draft charter was
submitted, and is provided for informational purposes only. Please send
your comments to the IESG mailing list (iesg at ietf.org) by 2013-07-29.

Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links (trill)
------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Active WG

Chairs:
  Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
  Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>

Secretaries:
  Jon Hudson <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Ted Lemon <[email-masked]>

Mailing list
  Address: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/trill
  Archive:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/trill/current/maillist.html

Charter:

TRILL Charter Draft July 2013
=================================

The TRILL WG has specified a solution for transparent unicast
shortest-path and multi-destination frame routing in multi-hop
networks with arbitrary topology. End stations, including Layer 3
routers, are connected to TRILL switches through IEEE 802.1-compliant
Ethernet. TRILL switches may be interconnected with multi-access or
point-to-point links of arbitrary technology.

The current work of the working group is around operational support
and additional extensions and optimizations of TRILL for the
properties of the networks on which it is deployed. The TRILL WG may
also produce corrections, clarifications, and updates of existing
TRILL RFCs.

The WG will work on the following items:

(1) Following on from the TRILL OAM requirements (RFC 6905), specify a
framework and specific protocols for the handling of Operations,
Administration, and Maintenance (OAM) in networks using TRILL,
focusing on fault management and performance and taking into
consideration existing OAM mechanisms that might apply to TRILL.

(2) Specify protocols to support "active-active" service to end
stations that are multiply connected to a TRILL campus to provide them
with flow level traffic spreading and rapid adaptation to link failure
similar to that provided by TRILL for TRILL switches.

(3) Develop, within the TRILL protocol context, protocol
specifications for broadcast/multicast (multi-destination) frame
reduction. Examples: protocol extensions supporting replacement of
broadcast/multicast by unicast where appropriate; ARP/ND (Neighbor
Discovery) reduction through extensions to the TRILL ESADI protocol.

(4) Specify protocols for TRILL over pseudowires and TRILL over IP
tunnels, for example to connect branch office TRILL switches to a
central TRILL campus over the Internet.

(5) Specify extensions to the TRILL protocol to support multi-level
routing to improve scaling and multi-topology routing to provide
different topologies for different classes or types of traffic, based
existing IS-IS multi-level and multi-topology routing facilities.

(6) Specify a reduced TRILL control plane protocol for
interconnection, with improved error isolation, between TRILL campuses
under coordinated management.

(7) Analyze the use of IS-IS security in TRILL and determine if any
work is needed to accommodate any specific TRILL control or data plane
security leveraging IS-IS security.

(8) Produce an interoperability / implementation report for TRILL.

The TRILL WG will continue to work with other IETF working groups such
as the ISIS WG, and SDO groups such as IEEE 802.1 through established
inter-WG relationships and SDO liaison processes, including early and
WG last call review by the ISIS WG of documents extending IS-IS
routing.

Milestones:

Done      Accept base protocol specification as a WG document
Done 	  Accept problem statement and applicability as a WG work item
Done 	  Start work with routing area WG(s) to undertake TRILL 
          extensions
Done 	  Accept architecture document as a WG work item
Done 	  Accept routing protocol requirements as a WG work item
Done 	  Choose routing protocol(s) that can meet the requirements
Done 	  Submit problem statement and applicability to IESG for 
          Informational RFC
Done 	  Submit base protocol specification to IEEE/IETF expert review
Done 	  Base protocol specification submitted to the IESG for 
          publication as a Proposed Standard RFC
Done 	  First draft showing what is needed for MIB
Done 	  Initial WG draft on VLAN Mapping 
          (draft-ietf-trill-rbridge-vlan-mapping)
Done 	  Initial WG draft TRILL Header Options 
          (draft-ietf-trill-rbridge-options)
Done 	  Initial WG draft on RBridge MIB module 
          (draft-ietf-trill-rbridge-mib)
Done 	  Initial WG draft on trill adjacency state machine 
          (draft-ietf-trill-adj)
Done 	  Submit trill adjacency state machine to IESG for publication 
          as Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-trill-adj)
Done 	  Submit RBridge MIB module to IESG for publication as Proposed 
          Standard (draft-ietf-trill-rbridge-mib)
Done 	  Submit TRILL Header Options to IESG for publication as 
          Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-trill-rbridge-options)
Done 	  Initial WG draft on RBridge OAM (draft-bond-trill-rbridge-oam)
Done 	  Submit TRILL Header Options to IESG for publication as 
          Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-trill-rbridge-options)
Done 	  Initial WG draft on RBridge OAM (draft-bond-trill-rbridge-oam)
Done 	  Submit RBridge OAM requirements document to the IESG for 
          publication draft-ietf-trill-oam-req
Nov 2012  Initial WG framework document on RBridge OAM
          draft-ietf-trill-oam-framework
Done 	  Submit RBridge OAM framework document to the IESG for 
          publication
Done 	  Initial WG document on RBridge OAM fault management
          draft-ietf-trill-oam-fm
Mar 2013  Initial WG draft on ARP/ND optimizations
Apr 2013  Initial WG document on RBridge OAM performance management
Jul 2013  Submit RBridge support of Data Center Bridging to IESG for 
          publication as Proposed Standard 
          (draft-eastlake-trill-rbridge-dcb)
Dec 2013  Submit TRILL ARP/ND optimizations to IESG for publication as 
          Proposed Standard
Dec 2014  Re-charter or shut down the WG