Subject: [trill] Fwd: TRILL Liaison to IEEE 802.1

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 22:22:55 -0400

The following liaison has been sent to Tony Jeffree, Chair of the IEEE 802.1 WG

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Subject: TRILL Liaison to IEEE 802.1
To: Tony Jeffree
Cc: Stephen Haddock, Paul Nikolich, Ted Lemon, Jari Arkko, Dan
Romascanu, Eric Gray, Bernard Aboba, [email-masked]

Dear Tony,

The IETF TRILL Working Group has been developing OAM facilities for
the TRILL protocol.  As you are aware, individual participants in the
TRILL WG made some preliminary presentations to IEEE 802.1 on their
view as to the direction these TRILL OAM facilities were taking. In
addition, the IETF has issued Informational RFC 6905, "Requirements
for Operations, Administration, and Maintenance (OAM) in Transparent
Interconnection of Lots of Links (TRILL)". RFC 6905 has been
determined to have IETF consensus.

Additional TRILL OAM documents are under development in the TRILL
Working Group as follows:

    https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-trill-oam-framework/
    https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-trill-oam-fm/

The TRILL Working Group is grateful for the assistance of a number of
voting members of the IEEE 802.1 Working Group who have been
contributing as individuals to this TRILL WG effort.

The -03 version of the OAM Framework draft has been determined to have
TRILL Working Group consensus and publication as an RFC has been
requested. But it is still subject to change.

The TRILL Working Group has adopted draft-ietf-trill-oam-fm (Fault
Management) as a Working Group draft. The methods presented in Fault
Management document are patterned after IEEE 802.1ag Continuity Fault
Management. You should note that Working Group draft status in the
IETF can just indicate that the Working Group considers it an
appropriate starting point. In particular, while we think the TRILL WG
is favorably inclined towards this draft, a consensus determination
has not been made on this draft or on any particular item within it.

The Fault Management draft also suggests that IEEE 802.1ag code points
could be allocated by the 802.1 Working Group for use in TRILL OAM in
a manner somewhat similar to the way they were for use in ITU-T
Recommendation Y.1731. Should such code points not be allocated, TRILL
OAM would be reworked so as not to use that code point space.

We would like the IEEE 802.1 Working Group to review these documents,
particularly the oam-fm (Fault Management) draft. We would welcome
comments, formal or informal, and your opinion as to whether
allocation of IEEE 802.1 code points is possible based on the current
technical direction of TRILL OAM.

    Sincerely Yours,

    Erik Nordmark & Donald Eastlake 3rd
    Co-Chairs, IETF TRILL Working Group