Subject: [trill] Spencer Dawkins' No Record on draft-ietf-trill-aa-multi-attach-04: (with COMMENT)

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 15:59:33 -0700

Spencer Dawkins has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-trill-aa-multi-attach-04: No Record

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-trill-aa-multi-attach/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Just one question. In this text:

5.3.2. No Echo (Split Horizon)

   When a multi-destination frame originated from an LAALP is ingressed
   by an RBridge of an AAE group, distributed to the TRILL network and
   then received by another RBridge in the same AAE group, it is
   important that this RBridge does not egress this frame back to this
   LAALP. Otherwise, it will cause a forwarding loop (echo). The well
   known 'split horizon' technique is used to eliminate the echo issue.
   
Is there a canonical (or semi-canonical) reference for split horizon that
you could provide here? A pointer to Appendix A would help, but that's
more of a description of how to do split horizon than a description of
what split horizon is.

I see that Ben also asked for this ...