Subject: [trill] Fwd: TRILL over UDP/IP

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2015 21:53:47 -0400

Forwarded to the TRILL WG mailing list by request.

Thanks,
Donald

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Lucy yong <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 2:14 PM
Subject: TRILL over UDP/IP

Hi,

I gave some comments about TRILL over UDP/IP in TRILL meeting and promised
to post them on TRILL mailing list. Please help to post it on TRILL list.

1)      TRILL over UPD makes TRILL running as an UDP application in IP
network. Therefore, it needs meet UDP tunnel/application requirement
specified in RFC5405bis. As a UDP application, three points need to be
considered: 1) checksum, 2) middle-box, 3) congestion control. Please refer
to RFC7510 (MPLS/UDP) where these have been addressed.  If TRILL over UDP
is intended over Internet as well which RFC7510 does not, then RFC7510 does
not apply.

2)      Use IPsec for secure transport over IP network, it will lose UDP
flow entropy benefit.  Alternative is to consider use of DTLS that is a
security transport mechanism at application layer. IPsec is a security
mechanim at network layer.

Thanks,

Lucy