Subject: [trill] Eric Rescorla's No Objection on draft-ietf-trill-directory-assisted-encap-10: (with COMMENT)

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2018 20:41:58 -0800

Eric Rescorla has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-trill-directory-assisted-encap-10: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-trill-directory-assisted-encap/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I support Alvaro's DISCUSS and Kathleen's comment

I also think it would be useful to emphasize the need for some security on the
links between the egress and ingress nodes, although presumably that's a
standard TRILL consideration.

Finally
      nodes. Such spoofing cannot cause looping traffic because TRILL has a
     hop count in the TRILL header [RFC6325] so that, should there be a
      loop, a TRILL packet caught in that loop (i.e., an encapsulated
      frame) will be discarded.

Is it in fact the case that it cannot cause looping or merely that the loop is
contained by the hop count? Perhaps this is just a terminology issue and in
routing loop just means infinite loop?

---

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 00:02:50 -0500

Hi Eric,

On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 11:41 PM, Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]> wrote:
> ...

Sure. The links between TRILL nodes can be a variety of technologies.
So security on on the links depends on the link technology and is
discussed in the RFC covering TRILL over that link technology.

> routing loop just means infinite loop?

Should probably say "...persistently looping traffic...".

Thanks,
Donald
===============================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
 155 Beaver Street, Milford, MA 01757 USA
 [email-masked]