Subject: [trill] Protocol Action: 'TRILL (TRansparent Interconnection of Lots of Links): ECN (Explicit Congestion Notification) Support' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-trill-ecn-support-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2018 10:48:29 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'TRILL (TRansparent Interconnection of Lots of Links): ECN (Explicit
   Congestion Notification) Support'
  (draft-ietf-trill-ecn-support-07.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Transparent Interconnection of Lots of
Links Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-trill-ecn-support/

Technical Summary

   This specification provides for any Explicit Congestion Notification
(ECN) marking in traffic ingressed by TRILL to be copied into the
TRILL Extension Header Flags Word [RFC7179]. It also enables
congestion marking by a congested transit TRILL switch in the TRILL
Header Extension Flags Word.  At TRILL egress, it specifies how any
ECN markings in the TRILL Header Flags Word and in the encapsulated
traffic are combined so that subsequent forwarding elements can see if
congestion was experienced at any previous point in the path from the
Source.

Working Group Summary

There was no particular controversy about this document. Although some
minor technical refinements were made during the WG process, the WG
appears to have been favorably disposed towards this work from the
beginning.

Document Quality

No implementations of draft-ietf-trill-ecn-support-03. 
Document has been reviewed by RTG-DIR (QA review). 

Personnel

        Document Shepherd: Susan Hares
     Responsible Area Director: Alia Atlas