Subject: [trill] Protocol Action: 'TRILL (TRansparent Interconnection of Lots of Links): Address Flush Message' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-trill-address-flush-06.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2018 09:31:18 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'TRILL (TRansparent Interconnection of Lots of Links): Address Flush
   Message'
  (draft-ietf-trill-address-flush-06.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Transparent Interconnection of Lots of
Links Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-trill-address-flush/

Technical Summary

The TRILL (TRansparent Interconnection of Lots of Links) protocol,
   by default, learns end station addresses from observing the data
   plane.  In particular, it learns local MAC addresses and edge
   switch port of attachment from the receipt of local data frames and
   learns remote MAC addresses and edge switch of attachment from the
   decapsulation of remotely sourced TRILL Data packets.

   This document specifies a message by which a TRILL switch can
   explicitly request other TRILL switches to flush certain MAC
   reachability learned through the decapsulation of TRILL Data
   packets.  This is a supplement to the TRILL automatic address
   forgetting and can assist in achieving more rapid convergence in
   case of topology or configuration change.

Working Group Summary

No.  This draft is part of a package of directory/ARP services
for TRILL.  Flushing unused MAC learned MAC addresses is key to
keeping the bridge-router function scalable. A late IPR disclosure
required a second WG Last Call but caused no concern or contention.

Document Quality

   Huawei has implemented a subset of this protocol.

Personnel

  Document Shepherd: Susan Hares  
  Responsible AD: Alia Atlas