Subject: [trill] Kathleen Moriarty's No Objection on draft-ietf-trill-directory-assisted-encap-09: (with COMMENT)

From: Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2018 12:05:59 -0800

Kathleen Moriarty has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-trill-directory-assisted-encap-09: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-trill-directory-assisted-encap/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your work on this document.  I'd like to see stronger language used
in the security considerations section.  I'll propose edits for you to consider:

OLD:
Therefore, there could be a potential security risk
   when the TRILL-ENs are not trusted.  In addition, if the path between
   the directory and the TRILL-ENs are attacked, false mappings can be
   sent to the TRILL-EN causing packets from the TRILL-EN to be sent to
   wrong destinations, possibly violating security policy. Therefore, a
   combination of authentication and encryption should be used between
   the Directory and TRILL-EN. The entities involved will need to
   properly authenticate with each other to protect sensitive
   information.

NEW:
   Therefore, there could be a potential security risk
   when the TRILL-ENs are not trusted or are compromised.  In addition, if the
   path between the directory and the TRILL-ENs are attacked, false mappings
   can be sent to the TRILL-EN causing packets from the TRILL-EN to be sent to
   wrong destinations, possibly violating security policy. Therefore, a
   combination of authentication and encryption is RECOMMENDED between the
   Directory and TRILL-EN. The entities involved will need to properly
   authenticate with each other, provide session encryption, maintain security
   patch levels, and configure their systems to allow minimal access and
   running processes to protect sensitive information.

---

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2018 17:55:02 -0500

Hi Kathleen,

Thanks for you comment, which seems like a reasonable suggestion. We have
uploaded a -10 with that change and also a typo fix.

Thanks,
Donald
===============================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
 155 Beaver Street, Milford, MA 01757 USA
 [email-masked]