Subject: [trill] Eric Rescorla's No Objection on draft-ietf-trill-multilevel-unique-nickname-06: (with COMMENT)

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2018 06:27:27 -0800

Eric Rescorla has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-trill-multilevel-unique-nickname-06: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-trill-multilevel-unique-nickname/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

In the security considerations,  isn't the requirement not that you configure
IS-IS authentication but that you actually have to require it on receipt? Or
are these the same things.

Even with ordinary trill, can't you just spoof a lot of announcements with
other people's nicknames? Why is this different?

---

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2018 23:49:01 -0400

Hi Eric,

On Thu, Mar 8, 2018 at 9:27 AM, Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]> wrote:
> ...

I must admit that the current wording just talks about inclusion of
authentication TLVs in a way which seems to leave out checking them
:-)

The wording should be improved.

> other people's nicknames? Why is this different?

Well, it is a bit more complex with IS-IS. It depends on just what you
try to spoof. If you spoof an announcement from some existing RBridge,
as soon as it is flooded to the claimed source RBridge that RBridge
will issue an overwritting announcement or purge. But, unless you turn
on appropriate security, there are ways to spoof announcements that
would have bad effects.

Thanks,
Donald
===============================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
 155 Beaver Street, Milford, MA 01757 USA
 [email-masked]

---

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2018 21:23:37 -0400

Hi Eric,

A -07 version of draft-ietf-trill-multilevel-unique-nickname has been
posted with the intent of resolving your comment.

Thanks,
Donald