Subject: [trill] Alissa Cooper's Discuss on draft-ietf-trill-smart-endnodes-10: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

From: Alissa Cooper <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2018 12:45:00 -0800

Alissa Cooper has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-trill-smart-endnodes-10: Discuss

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-trill-smart-endnodes/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSS:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

This should hopefully be easy to fix and was pointed out by the Gen-ART
reviewer:

All of section 4.3 is confusing as to what the length of the TLV really is.
Row 3 in the diagram says 2 bytes or 4 bytes, but the number of bits called out
in bullets 4 and 5 below it don't seem to add up to those things. Maybe it would
be better to draw a diagram with F=0 and a separate diagram with F=1.

Please make it clear both in the diagram and in the text what the expected
lengths of the fields are -- I find it particularly confusing that the number
of bits pictured doesn't align with the number of bits specified in the text
per field.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Please also look at the Gen-ART reviewer's other comments.

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2018 13:55:14 +0800 (CST)

Hi，Alissa Cooper

Thanks for your review and comments. 

The new version(version 10)  has updated to fix your comments.

The format of Smart-MAC APP sub-TLV and the text  has been changed to the following:

The length of F,M,RSV,VLAN/FGL data Label is 4 bytes. and the length of VLAN/FGL Data Label field is 24 bits.

 +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
 |Type=Smart-MAC | (1 byte)
 +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
 | Length | (1 byte)
 +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
 |F|M|RSV| VLAN/FGL Data Label | (4 bytes)
 +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-...+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
 | MAC (1) (6 bytes) |
 +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-...+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
 | ................. |
 +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-...+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
 | MAC (N) (6 bytes) |
 +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-...+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ Figure 3 Smart-MAC APPsub-TLV

 o VLAN/FGL Data Label: 24bits. If F is 1, this field is a 24-bit
 FGL Data Label for all subsequent MAC addresses in this APPsub-
 TLV. Otherwise, if F is 0, the lower 12 bits is the VLAN of all
 subsequent MAC addresses in this APPsub-TLV, and the upper 12 bits
 is not used(sent as zero and ignored on receipt). If there is no
 VLAN/FGL data label specified, the VLAN/FGL Data Label is zero.

Regards.

Fangwei.

原始邮件

发件人：AlissaCooper <[email-masked]>
收件人：The IESG <[email-masked]>
抄送人：[email-masked] <[email-masked]>[email-masked] <[email-masked]>[email-masked] <[email-masked]>[email-masked] <[email-masked]>
日 期 ：2018年03月07日 04:45
主 题 ：Alissa Cooper's Discuss on draft-ietf-trill-smart-endnodes-10: (withDISCUSS and COMMENT)

---

From: Alissa Cooper <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2018 10:01:50 -0500

Hi Fangwei,

As I noted in response to the Gen-ART reviewer, I managed to ballot before reading the rest of this thread (sorry!), but I still think the diagram in 4.3 is confusing and not consistent with the text. To my eye row 3 shows two bytes’ worth of fields but the label says “4 bytes.” RSV is depicted as 2 bits but the text says it is 6 bits. The combination of these two inconsistencies makes it hard to know what the actual lengths are supposed to be.

Alissa

> On Mar 7, 2018, at 12:55 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> 
> Hi，Alissa Cooper
> 
>                      Figure 3 Smart-MAC APPsub-TLV
> 
>

---

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2018 14:35:43 -0500

On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 10:01 AM, Alissa Cooper <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Hi Fangwei,
>
> As I noted in response to the Gen-ART reviewer, I managed to ballot before
> reading the rest of this thread (sorry!), but I still think the diagram in
> 4.3 is confusing and not consistent with the text. To my eye row 3 shows
two
> bytes’ worth of fields but the label says “4 bytes.” RSV is depicted as 2
> bits but the text says it is 6 bits. The combination of these two
> inconsistencies makes it hard to know what the actual lengths are supposed
> to be.

I agree that the figure is a little confusing. I suggest the following:

    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    |Type=Smart-MAC |          (1 byte)
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    |   Length      |          (1 byte)
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-...+-+-+-+-+
    |F|M|  RSV      |  VLAN/FGL Data Label         |  (4 bytes)
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-...+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    |                          MAC (1)                (6 bytes)        |
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-...+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    |                      .................                           |
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-...+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    |                          MAC (N)                (6 bytes)        |
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-...+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Thanks,
Donald
===============================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
 155 Beaver Street, Milford, MA 01757 USA
 [email-masked]

> 抄送人：[email-masked]
> <[email-masked]>[email-masked]
> <[email-masked]>[email-masked] <[email-masked]>[email-masked]
> <[email-masked]>
> 日 期 ：2018年03月07日 04:45
> Row 3 in the diagram says 2 bytes or 4 bytes, but the number of bits
called
> out

---

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2018 16:20:32 -0400

Hi Alissa,

A -11 version of draft-ietf-trill-smart-endnodes has been uploaded
with the intent of resolving your discuss. Please look at it and see
if you can clear.

Thanks,
Donald