Subject: [trill] Kathleen Moriarty's No Objection on draft-ietf-trill-vendor-channel-00: (with COMMENT)

From: Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2018 07:57:38 -0800

Kathleen Moriarty has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-trill-vendor-channel-00: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-trill-vendor-channel/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Could you please expand the text in the security considerations section as to
why security properties (integrity, authentication, and encryption since they
are not part of RBridge Channel messages except when explicitly added on in the
extension draft) were not built in?  I'm assuming it is the limited scope of
use for the protocol.  I am glad that options exist to add it in, but wish the
text were a bit more encouraging so that would actually happen.  Vendors need
to be motivated to provide these options for customers who may want to use
them, without that motivation, the features won't be provided.

---

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2018 12:12:04 -0500

Hi Kathleen,

On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 10:57 AM, Kathleen Moriarty
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> ...

OK.

Thanks,
Donald
===============================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
 155 Beaver Street, Milford, MA 01757 USA
 [email-masked]

---

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 00:46:07 -0500

Hi Kathleen,

> draft-ietf-trill-vendor-channel-00: No Objection

See attached candidate draft-ietf-trill-vendor-channel-01.txt and diff
against the currently posted -00. Does this answer your request for an
explanation as to why the basic TRILL RBridge Channel does not provide
security services?

Thanks,
Donald

---

From: Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2018 15:41:50 -0500

Hi Donald,

> explanation as to why the basic TRILL RBridge Channel does not provide

The text helps to explain the background, so thank you for that.  I
would have liked to see more on the scope or reasons why this
extension might not need more (or if it does), but won't press for it
as this is an improvement.

Thanks,
Kathleen

-- 

Best regards,
Kathleen

---

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2018 15:56:29 -0500

Hi Kathleen,

Thanks. I'll get this -01 version posted and ask Alia to release it to the
RFC Editor.

Donald