Subject: Re: [tsv-area] bringing experimental congestion control to the IETF

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 15:42:24 -0800

On 2007-3-12, at 1:06, Lars Eggert wrote:
> Several widely-deployed operating systems already implement non-RFC- 
> compliant congestion control mechanisms. This is happening without  
> much community review and often without a publicly available  
> technical specification, which is troubling.

Related to my note from this spring, I'd like to note that the Linux  
kernel developers have chosen to again make standard TCP NewReno the  
default congestion control mechanism in kernel 2.6.23.

http://www-didc.lbl.gov/TCP-tuning/linux.html

Lars

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 02:26:07 -0800

On 2007-11-9, at 15:42, ext Lars Eggert wrote:
> Related to my note from this spring, I'd like to note that the  
> Linux kernel developers have chosen to again make standard TCP  
> NewReno the default congestion control mechanism in kernel 2.6.23.

Apparently, I was misinformed. The config file default is still  
CUBIC, but depending on how the kernel is compiled, i.e., whether  
some or all TCP variants are compiled as modules or not, other  
variants can end up being the boot-time default.

Lars