Subject: Next steps with TCM-TF

From: "Jose Saldana" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 18:25:06 +0200

Dear all,

As you may know, we had a TCM-TF BoF in IETF87 Berlin (
<http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/87/minutes/minutes-87-tcmtf>
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/87/minutes/minutes-87-tcmtf).

As a result of the BoF, it was clear (IMHO) that there is some interest on
the topic. There were a number of people who thought that a WG should be
created, and several people also volunteered for reviewing documents.

However, in the BoF it was also clear that there are some concerns that have
to be issued before chartering. The main one is the interaction between TCM
optimization and TCP mechanisms. Since TCP controls its rate depending on
the RTT, the addition of a multiplexing delay may modify and even harm TCP
behavior.

As a consequence, we are going to redefine the Charter, removing the
optimization of TCP. So RTP/UDP and UDP will be the considered options for
optimization.

We would like to get more people involved in the discussion, so we would
like to invite those who actively participate on Transport Area discussion
to join the mailing list  <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tcmtf>
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tcmtf, in order to get their feedback.

Thanks in advance,

Jose Saldana