Subject: FW: WG Action: Formed DiffServ Applied to Real-time Transports (dart)

From: "Black, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 17:44:08 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: IETF-Announce [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of The IESG
Sent: Friday, April 18, 2014 4:38 PM
To: IETF-Announce
Cc: dart WG
Subject: WG Action: Formed DiffServ Applied to Real-time Transports (dart)

A new IETF working group has been formed in the Real-time Applications
and Infrastructure Area. For additional information please contact the
Area Directors or the WG Chair.

DiffServ Applied to Real-time Transports (dart)
------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Proposed WG

Chairs:
  Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>

Technical advisors:
  Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Richard Barnes <[email-masked]>

Mailing list
  Address: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/dart
  Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/dart/

Charter:

Differentiated Services (DiffServ) and DiffServ code points (DSCP) can be
used in some situations to provide quality of service (QoS). Packets with
different markings can be reordered, which can cause poor interaction
with a transport protocol that is sensitive to reordering. When RTP
streams or other real-time media (sub-)flows are used with different DSCP
values with the same transport 5-tuple, there may be transport protocol
interactions. There are also environments where the DSCP markings are
removed or remarked.

This WG will write a document that explains the limitations that exist
with DiffServ when used with RTP in general as well in the specific
RTCWeb cases. The WG will coordinate with relevant WGs, including TSVWG,
AVTCORE, MMUSIC, CLUE, RTCWEB, and RMCAT.

Milestones:
  Aug 2014 - Send Informational draft to IESG on DiffServ usage
consideration