Subject: [Tsv-art] Tsvart last call review of draft-ietf-rtcweb-ip-handling-11

From: Joseph Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2019 09:55:25 -0800

Reviewer: Joseph Touch
Review result: Ready

This document has been reviewed as part of the transport area review team's
ongoing effort to review key IETF documents. These comments were written
primarily for the transport area directors, but are copied to the document's
authors and WG to allow them to address any issues raised and also to the IETF
discussion list for information.

When done at the time of IETF Last Call, the authors should consider this
review as part of the last-call comments they receive. Please always CC
[email-masked] if you reply to or forward this review.

This document has no significant transport issues.

As a very minor issue, the document refers to the use of UDP "connect":

   Once a suitable remote IP has been determined, the implementation can
   create a UDP socket, bind it to the appropriate wildcard address, and
   tell it to connect to the remote IP.  Generally, this results in the
   socket being assigned a local address based on the kernel routing
   table, without sending any packets over the network.

It might be useful to be more clear that this is an OS command (not a protocol
one). If the particular semantics of this command are relevant, that should be
noted as well.

---

From: Justin Uberti <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2019 17:19:53 -0800

Thanks for your comments. See below.

> one). If the particular semantics of this command are relevant, that

Agreed. Thoughts on what would make this clearer?

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2019 17:33:39 -0800

You could just add “Unix” or “Unix-like” to before “connect”, or refer to these calls as “bind()” and “connect()”.

It is important that these are the semantics of Unix-like sockets; other APIs may not have a corresponding mechanism. Further, the UDP source address might change later (i.e., in TCP the “connect” always forces a static source IP address selected at the initiation of the TCP connection; in UDP, there’s no need for this to happen only once at the time the “connect()” is issued.

Joe

> On Feb 22, 2019, at 5:19 PM, Justin Uberti <juberti=[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> On Sun, Feb 17, 2019 at 9:56 AM Joseph Touch <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
> Reviewer: Joseph Touch
> Review result: Ready
> 
> [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]> if you reply to or forward this review.
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Tsv-art mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsv-art