Subject: [Tsv-art] Stuff I hope that we talk about tonight at the TSV dinner

From: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 12:01:57 +0100

>From time to time, the ADs have sent out topics for dinner conversations,
and my understanding is that Mirja has arranged for a dinner location that
allows conversations tonight, so we shouldn't waste that opportunity.

Here are my suggestions.

At the TSVAREA meeting, the ADs are going to point out that we dragooned
Magnus into serving a third term (after time to heal from his first two
terms), but Magnus plans to serve only one term, and Mirja finishes her
second term next year, and both ADs are funded by Ericsson. ISTM that TSV
might

   - try taking hostages or other extreme measures to dragoon "willing"
   nominees to serve next year (note that I will be un-dragoonable), as we
   have done in tthe

---

From: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 12:03:05 +0100

Please disregard - sent by inadvertent keystroke. I'm still typing.

---

From: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 12:09:53 +0100

And now, having typed all the way to the bottom of the e-mail ...

Here are my suggestions.

   - try taking hostages or other extreme measures to dragoon "willing"
   nominees to serve next year (note that I will be un-dragoonable), as we
   have done in the past, OR
   - figure out what TSV is willing to do, to make the AD role almost
   irrelevant by distributing leadership roles, OR
   - figure out if merging with INT, which also has its own problems, is
   the right thing to do - and this was mentioned by my Nomcom feedback folk
   when I met with them this morning.

I am concerned about whether we (for some value of "we") are paying too
little attention to liaison relationships with other SDOs - and I"m
thinking CableLabs and 3GPP specifically, but your mileage may vary - and
I'd like to level-set, and understand whether other people share that
concern.

Perhaps other folk, especially other ADs, have thoughts about conversation
topics?

Spencer

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 06:34:04 -0700

Hi, Magnus (et al.),

> On Mar 25, 2019, at 4:09 AM, Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> figure out what TSV is willing to do, to make the AD role almost irrelevant by distributing leadership roles, OR
> figure out if merging with INT, which also has its own problems, is the right thing to do - and this was mentioned by my Nomcom feedback folk when I met with them this morning.

I can’t help with the AD issue; IMO, that’s dominated by the fact that the IETF is one of the few organizations where “board members” (in a sense) are expected not only to donate their own time but also their own travel expenses. As long as that’s the case, we ought to expect the IESG to be dominated by commercial interests - and fewer of those due to corporate acquisitions.

As to merging with INT, based my active participation in both areas, yes, there are significant overlaps in participants (as there are between many areas), but IMO the context of the two areas is quite different as is some of the particular expertise. TSV is somewhat unique (to me) in the IESG in defending the E2E (as transport is where that issue “starts”, in the stack).

Joe

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 06:36:24 -0700

That would be Spencer, et al….

> On Mar 25, 2019, at 6:34 AM, Joe Touch <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hi, Magnus (et al.),
> 
>> On Mar 25, 2019, at 4:09 AM, Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
>> 
> _______________________________________________
> Tsv-art mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsv-art