Subject: Re: [Tsv-art] Tsvart early review of draft-ietf-ippm-ioam-direct-export-06

From: Tal Mizrahi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 10:13:43 +0300

Dear Colin,

Thanks for the feedback.

Please see below a comment and a question regarding your feedback.

On Fri, Sep 3, 2021 at 5:54 PM Colin Perkins via Datatracker
<[email-masked]> wrote:
[snip]

> It may be worth considering to require the exporting mechanism to perform an
> authenticated handshake with the destination to which it will export data, to
> gain explicit consent to export the data to that destination, before starting
> to send exported data.

[TM] The point is well-taken. The following text edit is proposed,
borrowing some of the text from your comment:
OLD:
   Although the exporting method is not within the scope of this
   document, any exporting method MUST secure the exported data from the
   IOAM node to the receiving entity.  Specifically, an IOAM node that
   performs DEX exporting MUST send the exported data to a pre-
   configured trusted receiving entity.
NEW:
   Although the exporting method is not within the scope of this
   document, any exporting method MUST secure the exported data from the
   IOAM node to the receiving entity.  Specifically, an IOAM node that
   performs DEX exporting MUST send the exported data to a pre-
   configured trusted receiving entity. Furthermore, an IOAM node
   MUST gain explicit consent to export data to a receiving entity before
   starting to send exported data.

> It may also be worth considering to add authentication
> of IOAM DEX triggers, to ensure they come from a known and trusted source,
> before acting on export requests.
>

[TM] Can you please clarify what you mean by "add authentication of
IOAM DEX triggers"? What is the threat that you have in mind?

Thanks,
Tal.