Subject: [Tsv-art] Tsvart last call review of draft-ietf-pim-igmp-mld-extension-05

From: Wesley Eddy via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 11:47:50 -0800

Reviewer: Wesley Eddy
Review result: Ready

This document has been reviewed as part of the transport area review team's
ongoing effort to review key IETF documents. These comments were written
primarily for the transport area directors, but are copied to the document's
authors and WG to allow them to address any issues raised and also to the IETF
discussion list for information.

When done at the time of IETF Last Call, the authors should consider this
review as part of the last-call comments they receive. Please always CC
[email-masked] if you reply to or forward this review.

I don't have any concerns with this document.  The mechanisms described in the
document could increase packet sizes significantly (if extensions are heavily
used), but there is also already a clear warning about avoiding fragmentation. 
Specific strategies for limiting the size of packets can be left to specific
implementations or cases of usage where this might matter (either by reducing
the number of groups, or disabling extensions, or other means), so I don't
think it needs anything more than what has already been stated in the document.
 One related thing that I worry a little bit about is whether a naïve strategy
for avoiding "too big" packets might result instead in generating a larger
number of smaller packets, that might be released without any rate or
congestion control, however, I think that other separate guidelines for general
rate limiting of ICMP and MLD handle this situation as well, and it's not
specific to this document.