Subject: Re: [Tsvwg] Input for draft-paxson-tcp-rto-00.txt

From: Vern Paxson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 22:15:21 PST

> Please consider the following paper as input for draft-paxson-tcp-rto-00.txt.

The purpose of the draft is to document the current, de facto standard for
computing RTO, not to explore possible alternatives.

		Vern

---

From: Reiner Ludwig <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 12:19:54 +0100

>computing RTO, not to explore possible alternatives.

My understanding from one of your recent mails (Oct. 30) to this list was that
you wanted to open discussions on your and the other I-Ds submitted to TSVWG.
Sending the pointer to our paper is my way of contributing to that discussion.

Also, the TSVWG charter includes the milestone to submit
draft-paxson-tcp-rto-00.txt (or a subsequent version of it) to IESG for 
consideration
as a Proposed Standard.

Why would we (TSVWG) want to do that when we know that the current TCP
retransmission timer as documented by draft-paxson-tcp-rto-00.txt has some
major problems, e.g., those discussed in our paper?

///Reiner