Subject: [Tsvwg] I-D ACTION:draft-handley-tcp-cwv-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 06:25:59 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Transport Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: TCP Congestion Window Validation
	Author(s)	: M. Handley, J. Padhye, S. Floyd 
	Filename	: draft-handley-tcp-cwv-02.txt
	Pages		: 11
	Date		: 14-Mar-00
	
TCP's congestion window controls the number of packets a TCP flow may
have in the network at any time.  However, long periods when the
sender is idle or application-limited can lead to the invalidation of
the congestion window, in that the congestion window no longer
reflects current information about the state of the network.  This
document describes a simple modification to TCP's congestion control
algorithms to decay the congestion window cwnd after the transition
from a sufficiently-long application-limited period, while using the
slow-start threshold ssthresh to save information about the previous
value of the congestion window.
An invalid congestion window also results when the congestion window
is increased (i.e., in TCP's slow-start or congestion avoidance
phases) during application-limited periods, when the previous value
of the congestion window might never have been fully utilized.  We
propose that the TCP sender should not increase the congestion window
when the TCP sender has been application-limited (and therefore has
not fully used the current congestion window).  We have explored
these algorithms both with simulations and with experiments from an
implementation in FreeBSD.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-handley-tcp-cwv-02.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-handley-tcp-cwv-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-handley-tcp-cwv-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.