Subject: [Tsvwg] RFC 2988 on Computing TCP's Retransmission Timer

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 12:35:45 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2988

        Title:	    Computing TCP's Retransmission Timer
        Author(s):  V. Paxson, M. Allman
        Status:     Standards Track
	Date:       November 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      8
        Characters: 15280
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:  None

        I-D Tag:    draft-paxson-tcp-rto-01.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2988.txt

This document defines the standard algorithm that Transmission Control
Protocol (TCP) senders are required to use to compute and manage
their retransmission timer.  It expands on the discussion in section
4.2.3.1 of RFC 1122 and upgrades the requirement of supporting the
algorithm from a SHOULD to a MUST.

This document is a product of the Transport Area Working Group Working
Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.