Subject: [Tsvwg] I-D:Using ECN to Signal Congestion Within an MPLS Domain

From: Mark Shayman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 15:42:13 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

We have submitted an I-D: "Using ECN to Signal Congestion Within an MPLS
Domain.  It can be found at
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-shayman-mpls-ecn-00.txt
The abstract is given below.  We would welcome feedback.

--Mark Shayman and Rob Jaeger

===========================================================================

Abstract:

We propose the addition of Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) together
with congestion signaling back to the ingress in order to provide
notification to the ingress label switching router (LSR) if congestion
is experienced along a label switched path (LSP). This information
could be used by the ingress LSR to mitigate congestion by employing
dynamic traffic engineering techniques such as shifting flows to alternate
paths.

While extending ECN to enable its use for congestion control by the
ingress LSR, the proposal retains (with modification) the capability to
signal ECN end-to-end as proposed in an earlier IETF draft authored by
others. The current proposal incorporates ECN into MPLS in a manner that
is coordinated with the use of ECN in IP, is backwards compatible, and
provides MPLS with a means of alleviating congestion of flows traversing
MPLS tunnels.

****************************************************************************

Prof. Mark Shayman                             email: [email-masked]
Dept. Electrical & Computer Eng.               phone: 301-405-3667
University of Maryland                         fax:   301-314-9281
College Park, MD 20742

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg