Subject: [Tsvwg] Last Call: The Addition of Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) to IP to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 13:06:20 -0500

The IESG has received a request from the Transport Area Working Group
Working Group to consider The Addition of Explicit Congestion
Notification (ECN) to IP <draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-01.txt> as a Proposed
Standard.

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action.  Please send any comments to the
[email-masked] or [email-masked] mailing lists by January 29, 2001.

Files can be obtained via
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-01.txt

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 14:20:21 -0600

In Section 5 of draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-01.txt:

>    Bits 6 and 7 in the IPv4 TOS octet are designated as the ECN field.
>    Bit 6 is designated as the ECT bit, and bit 7 is designated as the CE
>    bit.  The IPv4 TOS octet corresponds to the Traffic Class octet in
>    IPv6.  The definitions for the IPv4 TOS octet [RFC791] and the IPv6
>    Traffic Class octet have been superseded by the six-bit DS (Differen-
>    tiated Services) Field [RFC2474, RFC2780].  Bits 6 and 7 are listed
>    in [RFC2474] as Currently Unused, and are specified in RFC 2780 as
>    approved for experimental use for ECN.  

I find this slightly ambiguous w.r.t. IPv6. You could make it 100% clear
by adding to the second sentence above ", and the ECN field is defined
identically in both cases." 

Nit in the next sentence:

>    ............Section 19 gives a brief his-
>    tory of the TOS octet.

That is now Section 22.

   Brian

---

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 17:43:49 -0800 (PST)

> >    approved for experimental use for ECN.  

BTW: The quoted text above indicates that the document has been
formatted with hyphenation on, which needs to be fixed.
(RFCs don't have hyphenation.)

  Erik