Subject: [Tsvwg] draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctpsocket-00.txt: sinfo_dscp field

From: Jon Grimm <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 11:39:40 -0500

draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctpsocket-00.txt 

5.2.2 SCTP Header Information Structure (SCTP_SNDRCV)

....

sinfo_dscp: 8 bits (unsigned integer)

    This field is available to change the DSCP value in the outbound IP
    packet (hence it is used only from sendmsg()). The default value of
    this field is 0. Note only 6 bits of this byte are used, the upper 2
    bits are not part of the DS field. Any setting within these upper 2
    bits is ignored.

....

What is the expected behavior if considerations towards outbound
bundling?  Couldn't there be conflicting dscp values?

Regards,
Jon Grimm

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg

---

From: "La Monte Henry Piggy Yarroll" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 10:02:15 -0500

Qiaobing and I had a long discussion of how to handle this.  I think
we concluded that the best thing to do is remove sinfo_dscp and leave
the DSCP bits up to the IP sockets layer.  The complexity of putting
this into the transport layer is high.

---

From: Ran Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 11:35:07 -0400

>this into the transport layer is high.

        I'm glad you all reached that conclusion.  I fully agree.

        Actually, (and not speaking strictly to this proposal), 
I'm  slightly concerned that too many individual extensions to 
the Sockets API are being developed in too many separate IETF WGs.
I rather wish the IETF community could converge the set of additions 
(from various sources) back into a wholistic draft revised 
Sockets API specification.

Ran
[email-masked]