Subject: [Tsvwg] pre-BOF discussion

From: Michael Welzl <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 17:20:23 +0200

Hello everyone,

I would like to start a discussion to gauge interest in possibly having
a BOF (note that nothing has been decided yet - but starting with
a mailing list and a web site seems to be a good idea) at the London IETF
meeting.

The topic is "ABR to the Internet" - in fact, it's "ABR Explicit Rate
Feedback related mechanisms for the Internet". To quote from the web site:

The goal: A generic approach to ... 
- identify relevant information 
- propose a new protocol and/or changes to existing protocols 
- propose ways to use specific information (endpoint behaviour)
  to achieve a certain QoS gain 
Don't think of it as strictly ABR-like (requiring per flow state).
Think of it as ECN with a finer granularity. 

Let us see if we can find enough common ground to justify a BOF request.
To join the discussion, subscribe to the mailing list at:
http://www.tk.uni-linz.ac.at/~michael/abr-internet/
You will find about anything you need at this web site.

Kind regards,
Michael Welzl
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Dipl.-Ing. Michael Welzl     Researcher
Telecooperation Group        Dpt. of Computer Science
University of Linz           Altenberger Str. 69, A-4040 Linz, Austria
Phone: +43/732/2468-9264     Fax: +43/732/2468-9829
ICQ # 38201212               http://www.tk.uni-linz.ac.at/~michael/

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 09:39:45 +0300

Hi Michael,

> I would like to start a discussion to gauge interest in 
> possibly having a BOF (note that nothing has been decided yet - 
> but starting with a mailing list and a web site seems to be a 
> good idea) at the London IETF meeting.
> 

This sounds like it could be part of the Next Steps in Signaling
work, that has been proposed as a working group.  I haven't
heard of any progress in that area.  Perhaps Allison M. is
putting something together for that.

br,
John

---

From: Michael Welzl <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 09:07:06 +0200

Hi,

I did not CC the other private mail addresses ... please don't, we
don't want to bother all of them with the discussion. Also, please
move all related discussion to the abr-internet list:
http://www.tk.uni-linz.ac.at/~michael/abr-internet/

If you MUST reach a broader audience, I figure including
end2end-interest may be okay - but I would suggest that this is
the last e-mail on ABR-Internet that is going to the tsvwg group
and [email-masked]
(and siglite sure is an exception for this very mail  :)  )

> putting something together for that.

Actually, that's what I thought when the siglite discussion started.
I mentioned my current work on Explicit Rate signaling at the siglite
list last January but the reaction was scarce. I got the feeling that
what they are actually looking for is not just generic signaling but
signaling for resource reservation.

If I'm wrong - great! In this case, sigliters, please take a look at
the above URL   ;-)
I'd be more than willing to join you!

Cheers,
Michael