Subject: [Tsvwg] multi-homing practicality

From: "Kedar S. Sovani" <[email-masked]>
Date: 9 Mar 2002 19:14:38 -0000

hi,
      This is a question reagarding the practical importance of 
multi-homing.
      In a WAN where can we have a host connected to mutliple 
Internet feeds ? I couldn't think of any... :(
      Hence i could not understand where exactly is the practical 
situation in which mutli-homing (and the associated path failover) 
beneficial. Or is it limited to only Intranets requiring highly 
reliable paths ? If so then where can this situation arise?

rgds,
KSCOS

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg

---

From: Randall Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2002 15:15:24 -0600

Kedar:

Some thoughts and ramblings....

Interesting question but are you really sure that not many
but Intra-net's can benefit from multi-homing?

I have two internet providers right now... A DSL with SBC/Ameritech
and a second through DLSI/Worldcom... each gives me a different
paths into and through the interenet...

I will grant that in some ways I am unusual in this 
hookup/arrangement.... but I doubt that
most large companies do not have at least multiple feeds.. especially
if they are providing web content... this is one of the reasons
why the IPv4 routing tables have started growning again (or
so I have been told)... I.e. company A says Hey ISP.. I have
ISP-x's address and I want you on your side to advertise a host
route to it... this way we get failover ability when ISP-X goes
away or has some interuption in service.... 

So I don't think it is just beneficial to Intra-nets.. though I will
admit it is beneficial in an Intra-net :>

R

-- 
Randall R. Stewart
[email-masked] 815-342-5222 (cell phone)