Subject: [Tsvwg] RDMA over IP BOF

From: allyn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 19:15:47 -0800

Folks,
We encourage people interested to attend the (second) BOF on RDMA over IP, 
Tuesday March 19, 13:00-14:00.
The following problem statement draft will be discussed at the BOF.

  http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-romanow-rdma-over-ip-problem-statement-00.txt

In addition a proposed charter will be discussed

   http://www.cs.uchicago.edu/~steph/roi-proposed-charter-00.txt

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg

---

From: "Douglas Otis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 23:34:20 -0800

Allyn,

Although RDMA provides a solution for clustered environments, a direct data
placement layer as defined in the SCTP-DDP draft accomplishes greater
overhead reductions while remaining viable with higher latency using
traditional protocols.  Such a layer can enable RDMA built upon this simpler
mechanism.  The problem statement and the charter proposal does not consider
this layering however.  As a monolithic layer, RDMA is problematic for many
applications with its local memory access arbitration and tokenizing through
RDMA networking services.  If RDMA is placed entirely within an adapter,
then I/O portions of the system become a bottleneck as this element offers
less bandwidth than the CPU/Memory interface.  Rather than a general, a
specific highly complex and stateful solution is terminated within the
adapter.  Can you see an advantage in establishing a direct data placement
layer independent of RDMA constraints?  The rules for this layer could be
made compatible with RDMA as a superset.  There are already VI/TCP solutions
where the missing aspect is DDP and not RDMA.

Doug

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
> allyn
> Sent: Monday, March 11, 2002 7:16 PM
> To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; allyn romanow; stephen Bailey
> Subject: [Tsvwg] RDMA over IP BOF
>
>
> Folks,
> We encourage people interested to attend the (second) BOF on RDMA
> over IP, Tuesday March 19, 13:00-14:00. The following problem
> statement draft will be discussed at the BOF.
>
>
http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-romanow-rdma-over-ip-problem-st
atement-00.txt