Subject: [Tsvwg] What is the need for defining many adaptation layers for SS7 over IP

From: "Umesh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 16:45:24 +0530

Hi All,
    I am new to SIGTRAN and hence do not have much idea about the history of
adaptation layer
protocols. I was wondering why there are so many adaptation layers defined
for SS7 ?? Would it not
suffice to define adaptation layer for MTP3 (Since all user data finally
goes through MTP3 ) ??

-thanks in advance,
Umesh.

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 05:35:44 -0600

Umesh,

Your question should really be for sigtran, not tsvwg.

However, if you consult the SIGTRAN architecture and framework
RFC, you will find that adaptation layers at different levels
serve different signalling needs in the MGC/MG architecture.

Your argument for M3UA (because all things go through MTP3)
is equally valid for M2UA or M2PA (because all things go through
MTP2).

For an example, M3UA does not support lossless failover in
the same manner that MTP3 does over MTP2, M2UA, or M2PA.  M3UA
cannot adequately support SUA relay nodes or adequately support
SCCP in multi-SG configurations.  It is questionable whether
M3UA can adequately support ISUP routing keys.

--brian

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock    ¦ The reasonable man adapts himself to the ¦
[email-masked]    ¦ world; the unreasonable one persists in  ¦
http://www.openss7.org/ ¦ trying  to adapt the  world  to himself. ¦
                        ¦ Therefore  all  progress  depends on the ¦
                        ¦ unreasonable man. -- George Bernard Shaw ¦