Subject: [Tsvwg] How to handle data received in COOKIE ECHOED state in SCTP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 11:39:45 -0400

Hi, All,

In RFC 2960, we have:

3.3.12 Cookie Acknowledgement (COOKIE ACK) (11):

   This chunk is used only during the initialization of an association.
   It is used to acknowledge the receipt of a COOKIE ECHO chunk.  This
   chunk MUST precede any DATA or SACK chunk sent within the
   association, but MAY be bundled with one or more DATA chunks or SACK
   chunk in the same SCTP packet.

6. User Data Transfer

   DATA chunks MUST only be received according to the rules below in
   ESTABLISHED, SHUTDOWN-PENDING, SHUTDOWN-SENT.  A DATA chunk received
   in CLOSED is out of the blue and SHOULD be handled per 8.4.  A DATA
   chunk received in any other state SHOULD be discarded.

My question is:
if data is bundled with COOKIE ACK, it will be received in COOKIE ECHED
state. By the above statement, it SHOULD be discarded. Is it the right way?
Maybe, I miss something.

Simon Zhuang
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Signaling Products Design Center   Tel: (856)642-9229x245
RadiSys Corporation                            www.radisys.com
520 Fellowship Road, C-304               www.ss7-link.com
Mt. Laurel, NJ 08054
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg

---

From: Peter Lei <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 11:59:54 -0500

Simon,

After the receiver gets the COOKIE-ACK chunk and processes it, it will move
out of the cookie-echoed state and be in the established state.  Thus, the
DATA chunk following it (though bundled) will be received and should be
processed in the established state.

--peter