Subject: [Tsvwg] Updated I-D on the F-RTO algorithm

From: Pasi Sarolahti <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 17:19:32 +0300

Hi,

We just submitted an updated draft describing the F-RTO algorithm for 
recovering after TCP retransmission timeout, that is designed to avoid 
unnecessary retransmissions following a spurious RTO. The draft can be 
found at
http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/sarolaht/papers/draft-sarolahti-tsvwg-tcp-frto-01.txt
until it reaches the IETF repository.

In addition to editorial fixes, the updated version has following 
changes:
- suggestion of a SACK-based variant of F-RTO that should improve the 
performance of the F-RTO algorithm on the few cases where packet loss 
occurs near spurious timeout, causing the basic F-RTO sender to do 
regular go-back-N recovery.
- clarification suggested by Sally Floyd few weeks ago on this list 
about sending only one new segment when window limits the transmission
- fix for the case when RTO is triggered due to lost fast retransmit 
during fast recovery (thanks to Josh Blanton and Mark Allman for 
noticing this!)
- short paragraph discussing the effect of avoiding unnecessary 
retransmissions on the RTO estimator calculation
- brief discussion about handling the case when sending new data is not 
possible due to window limitation

We would very much appreciate any feedback you may have about the draft.

Btw, if anyone is interested to try it out, a Linux patch implementing 
F-RTO is available at
http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/research/iwtcp/code/frto-linux.tar.gz

- Pasi
_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg