Subject: [Tsvwg] Last Call: Robust ECN Signaling with Nonces to Experimental

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 08:19:44 -0500

The IESG has received a request from the Transport Area Working Group
Working Group to consider Robust ECN Signaling with Nonces
<draft-ietf-tsvwg-tcp-nonce-04.txt> as an Experimental Protocol.

   Statement of Intent:
     
      This specification contains an optional addition to Explicit
      Congestion Notification (RFC 3168) improving its robustness
      against malicious or accidental concealment of marked packets.
      It has not been deployed widely.  One goal of publication as an
      as an Experimental RFC is to be prudent, and encourage use and 
      deployment prior to publication in the standards track. It is 
      the intent of the Transport Area to re-submit this specification 
      as an IETF Proposed Standard in future after more experience has 
      been gained.

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action.  Please send any comments to the
[email-masked] or [email-masked] mailing lists by 2002-12-20.

Files can be obtained via
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-tcp-nonce-04.txt

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg

---

From: Mark Allman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 07:22:42 -0500

> The IESG has received a request from the Transport Area Working
> Group Working Group to consider Robust ECN Signaling with Nonces

I think the ecn nonce is a very cool idea and hope for its
widespread use.  But, I am puzzled at why it is slated for
experimental and not proposed standard.  ECN itself is a PS, so why
not the protection mechanism?  Did I miss some discussion of this
somewhere?  I, at least, would like to see it be a PS.

Thanks,
allman

--
Mark Allman -- BBN/NASA GRC -- http://roland.grc.nasa.gov/~mallman/
_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg