Subject: [Tsvwg] SCTP Message Fragmentation issue

From: "Iain.Thomson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 11:32:04 -0000

Forgive me if this has been discussed before.

If an SCTP sender is given a message to send which is larger than the receiver's window, then this could result in a hang.
The sender fragments the message and sends the fragments to the receiver.
The receiver is constrained to hold onto the fragments till the whole message has been reconstructed.
Eventually the receiver returns an a_rwnd of 0.  The association hangs.

What's the solution?
Perhaps during the initialisation of the association the maximum message size can be negotiated/stated.

Any ideas?
Iain

=========================
 Iain Thomson   
 Thales Research & Technology (UK) Ltd                                   
  [email-masked]    
=========================

**********************************************************************
This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for  
the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed and may
not be divulged to any third party without the express permission of 
the originator.  Any views expressed in this message are those of the 
individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them to
be the views of Thales Research & Technology (UK) Ltd.
**********************************************************************
_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg