Subject: Re: [Tsvwg] Question on Limited Transmit (RFC3042)

From: Mark Allman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 15:01:27 -0500

> What is the transport-level mechanism to limit the use of "early
> retransmit?"  Assuming the simplest policy of using D-SACK that
> after TCP finds that "early retransmit" causes duplicate segment
> to be sent, it stops doing that.  It seems to me that several
> months later, a question will be asked why the "first strike"
> policy, why not "second or third strike?"  This probably means
> that a dynamic policy is required.  Is this complicated justified?

My own opinion is that the one strike scheme is nice and
conservative.  I might even buy something else that was easy to
implement like one mistake per X seconds or something.

I am not even sure that some more complex scheme would help here.  A
few schemes have been floated for adjusting the dupthresh.  But, I
think they require a bunch of samples to converge to doing something
reasonable.  And, sort of by definition a flow that needs something
like early retransmit is not going to be sampling all that fast.

So, I think something simple and conservative is fine here.

allman

--
Mark Allman -- NASA GRC/BBN -- http://roland.grc.nasa.gov/~mallman/

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg