Subject: [Tsvwg] TCP SACK/FACK implementations on BSD

From: Janardhan Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 12:02:16 -0500 (EST)

Hi all,

We are doing some experiments using the OpenBSD implementation of TCP SACK
and FACK. Could anyone validate for us whether these are the docs that
these implementations conform to (or are closest to)?

OpenBSD TCP-SACK: A Conservative SACK-based Loss Recovery Algorithm for
TCP (draft-allman-tcp-sack-13.txt)

OpenBSD TCP-FACK: SIGCOMM'96 Paper "Forward Acknowledgment: Refining TCP
Congestion Control"

If not, then which are the implementations available right now that do?

Further, do the ns-2 implementations of TCP-SACK/FACK conform to the docs
above?

thanks and regards,
jana/armando

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Janardhan R. Iyengar				   [email-masked]
University of Delaware		       http://www.cis.udel.edu/~iyengar
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg

---

From: Ethan Blanton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 12:12:49 -0500

> TCP (draft-allman-tcp-sack-13.txt)

We have not heard anything about the OpenBSD people trying to
implement our algorithm.  That doesn't preclude that they might have
done so, but I suspect that their SACK support predates
draft-allman-tcp-sack-13.

> Further, do the ns-2 implementations of TCP-SACK/FACK conform to the docs

The ns-2 SACK algorithm is similar to draft-allman-tcp-sack-13 (and is
in fact the basis we worked from), but it is not the same.

Ethan

-- 
And if I claim to be a wise man / it surely means that I don't know.
                -- Kansas, "Carry on Wayward Son"