Subject: [Tsvwg] A query

From: "Umesh Vats" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 12:19:13 -0700

Can an SCTP endpoint use different set of source address for different
associations
origination/terminating on it ? E.g, suppose an endpoint (ASP/SGP/IPSP) has
source(self)
IP addresses A, B, C, D, E, F and G.

Can this endpoint assign source addresses to three associations as :
       Assoc 1     :  A, B, C
       Assoc 2     :  C, D, E
       Assoc 3     :  F, G

Umesh Vats

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg

---

From: Randall Stewart <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 18:58:56 -0500

> Can this endpoint assign source addresses to three associations as :
Hmm...

Yes, I think this could be done.. as long as the stack
can handle it and not confuse the packets..

If I wanted to do this with the sockets api on the KAME-FreeBSD machine it
would have to be three sockets

One would do

bind(a)
sctp_bindx(b,c)

the second
bind(c)
sctp_bindx(d,e)

and the third
bind(f)
sctp_bindx(g)

I am assuming here you are talking about the same port number on all of 
them.

In the above (for kame) you would actually have 3 endpoints...  But one 
could
open them in the same program if one wanted..

R

-- 
Randall R. Stewart
[email-masked] 815-342-5222 (cell phone)

---

From: Caitlin Bestler <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 22:31:37 -0500

> > Can this endpoint assign source addresses to three associations as :

In addition to whatever limitations the local stack may have, you have
to consider how things would look to the remote end if multiple of
these endpoints attempted to connected to the same remote endpoint.

If Assoc 1 and Assoc 2 had the same port number, I believe there would
be problems attempting to form an association with the same remote endpoint.
It would appear that the host that included C was trying to change its list
of IP addresses. While the remote host would never realize that Assoc 1 and
Assoc 3 were the same machine. Ditto for Assoc 2 and Assoc 3.