Subject: [Tsvwg] RFC 3540 on Robust Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) Signaling with Nonces

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 15:42:43 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3540

        Title:      Robust Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN)
                    Signaling with Nonces
        Author(s):  N. Spring, D. Wetherall, D. Ely
        Status:     Experimental
        Date:       June 2003
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      13
        Characters: 30081
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:  None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tsvwg-tcp-nonce-04.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3540.txt

This note describes the Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN)-nonce,
an optional addition to ECN that protects against accidental or
malicious concealment of marked packets from the TCP sender.  It
improves the robustness of congestion control by preventing receivers
from exploiting ECN to gain an unfair share of network bandwidth.  The
ECN-nonce uses the two ECN-Capable Transport (ECT)codepoints in the
ECN field of the IP header, and requires a flag in the TCP header.  It
is computationally efficient for both routers and hosts.

This document is a product of the Transport Area Working Group of the
IETF.

This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Discussion and
suggestions for improvement are requested.  Distribution of this memo
is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.