Subject: [Tsvwg] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-tsvwg-tcp-frto-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 10:53:03 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Transport Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: F-RTO: An Algorithm for Detecting Spurious 
			  Retransmission Timeouts with TCP and SCTP
	Author(s)	:  P. Sarolahti
	Filename	: draft-ietf-tsvwg-tcp-frto-00.txt
	Pages		: 18
	Date		: 2003-10-23
	
Spurious retransmission timeouts (RTOs) cause suboptimal TCP
   performance, because they often result in unnecessary retransmission
   of the last window of data. This document describes the 'Forward RTO
   Recovery' (F-RTO) algorithm for detecting spurious TCP RTOs. F-RTO is
   a TCP sender only algorithm that does not require any TCP options to
   operate. After retransmitting the first unacknowledged segment
   triggered by an RTO, the F-RTO algorithm at a TCP sender monitors the
   incoming acknowledgements to determine whether the timeout was
   spurious and to decide whether to send new segments or retransmit
   unacknowledged segments. The algorithm effectively helps to avoid
   additional unnecessary retransmissions and thereby improves TCP
   performance in case of a spurious timeout. The F-RTO algorithm can
also be applied with the SCTP protocol.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-tcp-frto-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-tsvwg-tcp-frto-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-tcp-frto-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.