Subject: [Tsvwg] RFC 3742 on Limited Slow-Start for TCP with Large Congestion Windows

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 16:56:17 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 3742

        Title:      Limited Slow-Start for TCP with Large Congestion
                    Windows
        Author(s):  S. Floyd
        Status:     Experimental
        Date:       March 2004
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      7
        Characters: 14840
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tsvwg-slowstart-00.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3742.txt

This document describes an optional modification for TCP's slow-start
for use with TCP connections with large congestion windows.  For TCP
connections that are able to use congestion windows of thousands (or
tens of thousands) of MSS-sized segments (for MSS the sender's MAXIMUM
SEGMENT SIZE), the current slow-start procedure can result in
increasing the congestion window by thousands of segments in a single
round-trip time.  Such an increase can easily result in thousands of
packets being dropped in one round-trip time.  This is often
counter-productive for the TCP flow itself, and is also hard on the
rest of the traffic sharing the congested link.  This note describes
Limited Slow-Start as an optional mechanism for limiting the number of
segments by which the congestion window is increased for one window of
data during slow-start, in order to improve performance for TCP
connections with large congestion windows.

This document is a product of the Transport Area Working Group of the
IETF.

This memo defines an Experimental Protocol for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Discussion and
suggestions for improvement are requested.  Distribution of this memo
is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.