Subject: [Tsvwg] Protocol Action: 'The NewReno Modification to TCP's Fast Recovery Algorithm' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 15:15:44 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'The NewReno Modification to TCP's Fast Recovery Algorithm '
   <draft-ietf-tsvwg-newreno-02.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Transport Area Working Group Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Jon Peterson and Allison Mankin.

Technical Summary
 
This document advances the Experimental NewReno specification defined in 
RFC2582 to Proposed Standard.

The main change in this document relative to RFC 2582 is to specify the 
Careful variant of NewReno's Fast Retransmit and Fast Recovery algorithms.  
The base algorithm described in RFC 2582 did not attempt to avoid unnecessar
multiple Fast Retransmits that can occur after a timeout (described in more 
detail in the section above).  However, RFC 2582 defined "Careful" and "Less 
Careful" variants that avoid these unnecessary Fast Retransmits, and 
recommended the Careful variant - this specification only defines the 
"Careful" variant.

This document also specifies two heuristics that the TCP sender MAY use to 
decide to invoke Fast Retransmit even when the three duplicate 
acknowledgements do not cover more than "recover".
 
Working Group Summary
 
The TSVWG strongly supported the advancement of this document.
 
Protocol Quality
 
This document was reviewed for the IESG by Jon Peterson.

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg