Subject: [Tsvwg] Quick-Start for TCP and IP

From: Sally Floyd <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 10:54:18 -0700

We have just revised and submitted our old, expired draft for
Quick-Start.  It should appear in the internet-drafts repository
in a few days, but until then, it is available from the following:

http://www.icir.org/floyd/papers/draft-amit-quick-start-03.txt
http://www.icir.org/floyd/papers/draft-amit-quick-start-03.ps

Any feedback would be appreciated.

We would like to talk about this at the next tsvwg meeting, if
possible, and would like to start the process to see if this
could become an official work item for tsvwg.  

Many thanks,
- Sally
http://www.icir.org/floyd/

Quick-Start for TCP and IP:

Abstract
    This draft specifies an optional Quick-Start mechanism for transport
    protocols, in cooperation with routers, to determine an allowed
    sending rate at the start and at times in the middle of a data
    transfer.  While Quick-Start is designed to be used by a range of
    transport protocols, in this document we describe its use with TCP.
    By using Quick-Start, a TCP host, say, host A, would indicate its
    desired sending rate in bytes per second, using a Quick Start
    Request option in the IP header of a TCP packet.  A Quick-Start
    request for a higher sending rate would be sent in a TCP packet.
    Each router along the path could, in turn, either approve the
    requested rate, reduce the requested rate, or indicate that the
    Quick-Start request is not approved.  If the Quick-Start request is
    not approved, then the sender would use the default congestion
    control mechanisms.  The Quick-Start mechanism can determine if
    there are routers along the path that do not understand the Quick-
    Start Request option, or have not agreed to the Quick-Start rate
    request.  TCP host B communicates the final rate request to TCP host
    A in a transport-level Quick-Start Response in an answering TCP
    packet.  Quick-Start is designed to allow connections to use higher
    sending rates when there is significant unused bandwidth along the
    path, and all of the routers along the path support the Quick-Start
    Request.

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg