Subject: [Tsvwg] SCTP one-to-one style feature clarification

From: Brad Penoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 16:51:21 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings,

We have noticed differing descriptions of the feature set for the 
one-to-one style in SCTP, and were hoping to receive some clarification. 
In the 3rd ed. of Stephen's "Unix Network Programming, Vol. 1", p.288 
mentions that using the SOCK_STREAM "would not take advantage of any of 
the additional features provided by SCTP except multihoming." It doesn't 
specify exactly what features are NOT taken advantage.  Are there any?

More recently, in the latest release of 
draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctpsocket-09.txt , it says on p.5 that "all new SCTP 
features can be used with both styles of socket".  This is seemingly 
contradictory to the Stephen's book.

Understanding that this is a draft, we are just curious as to what the 
current exact features are that are supported in the one-to-one style of 
LKSCTP.

Any assistance would be appreciated.  Thanks,

brad

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg

---

From: Michael Tuexen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 19:56:41 +0200

Brad,
see my comments below.
Best regards
Michael

On Oct 9, 2004, at 1:51 Uhr, Brad Penoff wrote:

> one-to-one style in SCTP, and were hoping to receive some 
> clarification. In the 3rd ed. of Stephen's "Unix Network Programming, 
> Vol. 1", p.288 mentions that using the SOCK_STREAM "would not take 
> advantage of any of the additional features provided by SCTP except 
> multihoming." It doesn't specify exactly what features are NOT taken 
> advantage.  Are there any?
This sentence is in the context of an existing TCP application which 
you 'port' to
SCTP by simply changing the socket() call. By not using any additional 
function you
do not use for example
- multiple streams
- unordered delivery
- special parameter settings available by SCTP socket options
> contradictory to the Stephen's book.
No it is not. The point is that you need additional code (sctp_* 
functions, SCTP socket options)
to make use of the additional functionality.
> current exact features are that are supported in the one-to-one style 
> of LKSCTP.
>
> -------------------------------------------------------
> This SF.net email is sponsored by: IT Product Guide on 
> ITManagersJournal
> Use IT products in your business? Tell us what you think of them. Give 
> us
> Your Opinions, Get Free ThinkGeek Gift Certificates! Click to find out 
> more
> http://productguide.itmanagersjournal.com/guidepromo.tmpl
> Lksctp-developers mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/lksctp-developers
>