Subject: [Tsvwg] reserved bits in the Quick-Start Option

From: Sally Floyd <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 12:23:33 -0700

Just to move some of our off-line discussions about Quick-Start on
to the tsvwg mailing list, here is a list of some of the things
that have been considered for any extra bits in the QS option.  A
possibility is just to leave all of the extra bits (if there are
any) reserved for now, waiting until we see how Quick-Start plays
out in practice.

* Informational Request:  
  This request is just informational, to find out what rate you would
  approve *right now*.  This isn't a real request.   (The real request
  could follow one RTT later.)

* Reporting Approved Rate:
  I am just reporting the rate approved in the rate request last RTT.
  This isn't a request.  This report is being sent in a QS packet
  sent in response to the earlier request.

* Use Format X for the Rate Request Field:
  If this bit is set, use a different format for the rate request field.
  (It could be useful to have a bit around that could be used for
  this in the future.)

* Reporting the Current Sending Rate:
  This is not a request, or a report of the previously-approved request.
  I am reporting the current sending rate.   (A second instance
  of the QS nonce in the same packet might have the request.)

* Don't Decrement:
  I only want this if I can have the full rate requested, so don't
  bother decrementing.  Deny instead.

Other ideas listed simply for completeness:

* One or Two Bits for RTT:
  I know the RTT, and it is less than/greater than 200 ms.
  (Or if two bits are used, this allows slightly more info.)

* Request to Increase Sending Rate:
  This request is from a connection wanting to increase its sending
  rate, rather then starting new or coming back from an idle period.

- Sally
http://www.icir.org/floyd/

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg