Subject: Re: [Tsvwg] About Presentations into TSVWG

From: Aaron Falk <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 22:47:13 -0800

--On November 5, 2005 11:47:12 PM -0600 "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]> 
wrote:
>
> To All Presenters
>
> Corporate logos and other corporate names and identifiers are *not* to be
> included in any presentations given in the TSVWG meeting (or any other WG
> meeting for that matter).
>
> Please remove all such material from slides given to the chairs, or shown
> on the display in the room.

James-

This policy seems overly constrictive.  Folks rely on their employers to 
sponsor their participation in the IETF.  It doesn't bother me if they put 
their affiliation on their slides, or in their RFCs for that matter, if 
that means they can contribute to the working group.   Seems a small price 
to pay, actually.

--aaron

FWIW, presentations that are too detailed, too long, or off topic are a 
bigger problem.

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg

---

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 11:31:21 -0600

Aaron

Ok - fair comment.

What I think I'm really after is the wildly colorful backgrounds that are 
inherent to these corporate slides.  These smell of marketing, and that's 
not what we're about (I hope everyone agrees).

I'll modify my request to "presenters can include who they work for (even 
though we're all individuals when we're here), but the slide decks SHOULD 
be in black and white".

Does this appear more agreeable?

>FWIW, presentations that are too detailed, too long, or off topic are a 

cheers,
James

                                 *******************
                 Truth is not to be argued... it is to be presented.

---

From: Aaron Falk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 11:35:29 -0800

> Does this appear more agreeable?

Well, only because of the 'SHOULD'.  I don't think you can legislate 
quality.  My guess is that this is a bigger problem with folks who are new 
to the IETF.  As a wg chair, I've had the best luck by asking for a copy of 
their slides for review before the meeting.  This also provides an 
opportunity to warn them that trying to present 40 slides in 10 minutes is, 
um, unrealistic. ;)

--aaron

---

From: Janet P Gunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 16:18:00 -0500

SELECTIVE use of color (colour, since we are in Canada) can be very useful
in conveying content (highlighting, graphics).  It is the gratuitous use of
colour  (e.g. coloured backgrounds on EVERY slide) that I think you are
trying to avoid.

Janet

             "James M. Polk"                                               
             <[email-masked]                                             
             >                                                          To 
             Sent by:                  Aaron Falk <[email-masked]>, tsvwg    
             tsvwg-bounces@iet         <[email-masked]>                    
             f.org                                                      cc 
                                                                           
                                                                   Subject 
             11/07/2005 12:31          Re: [Tsvwg] About Presentations     
             PM                        into TSVWG                          

                                                                           

Aaron

Ok - fair comment.

cheers,
James

                                 *******************

---

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 16:04:13 -0600

TSVWG

So, it didn't take long for me to stick my foot in my mouth (virtually) by 
not being clear....

I'll try and fix that in the future (starting 5 minutes ago)

I don't mind colored text, I just don't care for fanciful colored 
backgrounds, and many folks have stated and agreed (depending on the 
situation) with this philosophy by voicing exactly this during my years in 
the IETF.  I'm being sensitive to their opinions I've heard.

Colored backgrounds make some text hard to read to those that aren't 
familiar with the format. The quality of projector often has an adverse 
impact on this.  Colored backgrounds also tend to greatly increase the file 
size of the slide deck.

Company names are fine on slides; (small) company logos on the cover slide 
are fine - although please make sure to remove any header or footer text 
stating a presentation is "<company> confidential". This has happened often 
at IETF meetings.

I hope this message didn't put my foot farther down my throat...

cheers,
James

                                 *******************

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 14:55:52 -0800

James M. Polk wrote:
> Aaron
> 
> Ok - fair comment.
> 
> What I think I'm really after is the wildly colorful backgrounds that
> are inherent to these corporate slides.  These smell of marketing, and
> that's not what we're about (I hope everyone agrees).

I don't like wildy colorful backgrounds or ones that smell of marketing,
but the latter is a content issue, not a logo one.

> I'll modify my request to "presenters can include who they work for
> (even though we're all individuals when we're here), but the slide decks
> SHOULD be in black and white".

Colors can be very useful in presenting certain ideas, but slides should
retain information when printed in greyscale (rather than B&W).

---

I think what you're going for is "try to keep the slides simple, the
ideas clear, and the backgrounds non-nauseating" - which I completely
agree with ;-)

Joe

---

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 17:20:19 -0600

>ideas clear, and the backgrounds non-nauseating" - which I completely

bingo

cheers,
James

                                 *******************