Subject: [Tsvwg] BoF on GIG challenges at the next IETF (U)

From: "Desimone, Tony, Mr, OSD-NII" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 08:41:24 -0500

UNCLASSIFIED

We will be hosting a BoF at the IETF on Monday, 7 November, to discuss some
of the technical challenges that arise in building out the Global
Information Grid.  The BoF will follow the afternoon session and run 8PM to
9:30PM.  We'll be using one of the conf meeting room: room number will be in
a follow-up email.

The Global Information Grid (GIG) is a large and complex undertaking that is
intended to integrate virtually all of the information systems, services,
and applications in the US Department of Defense (DoD) into one seamless,
reliable, and secure network.

The principles underlying the GIG are in line with the direction of NATO and
of other countries, as well as civilian communications services that support
emergency preparedness.  Our intention in this BoF is to discuss the vision
of the GIG and share some of the technical challenges we face in making that
vision a reality.  We want to use this BoF as a step on the path to engaging
effectively and in a coordinated way with the IETF community on topics of
mutual interest.

The session is being organised by the office of the GIG Senior Systems
Engineer.  We plan a few short presentations and time for discussion.
Presentations will provide a high-level view of the GIG, a view of related
activities in NATO; and then a discussion of a few technical challenges,
including requirements for precedence and support of mobility in the GIG.

A paper laying out some of the issues is available at
http://www.apl.jhu.edu/Notes/DeSimone/IETF/GIG-BOF-051107/draft-gig-defining
-the-core-desimone-tarr-051030.txt
<http://www.apl.jhu.edu/Notes/DeSimone/IETF/GIG-BOF-051107/draft-gig-definin
g-the-core-desimone-tarr-051030.txt>   A .pdf file in the same directory
includes some graphics and may be a little more friendly.  More material
will appear in that directory over the next few days.

Look forward to seeing you next week.
_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg

---

From: "Desimone, Tony, Mr, OSD-NII" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 18:46:13 -0500

This session will be in Salon 2/3
Monday, 8PM
--------------------------
Tony De Simone
Sent from my BlackBerry
+1 703 501 9376

-----Original Message-----
From: Desimone, Tony, Mr, OSD-NII <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]' <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sat Nov 05 08:41:24 2005
Subject: BoF on GIG challenges at the next IETF (U)

UNCLASSIFIED

-the-core-desimone-tarr-051030.txt  A .pdf file in the same directory