Subject: [Tsvwg] Fecframe BOF next week

From: "Mark Watson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 20:22:39 -0500

All,

There will be a BOF session on Wednesday afternoon next week on the
topic of FEC over transport protocols. The objective is to consider
starting work on a framework for generalized FEC protection of IP flows
over unreliable transport (possibly based on the framework presented in
draft-watson-tsgwg-fec-sf-00 which I presented at TSVWG and AVT at
IETF63.)

The BOF description and agenda are available at:
http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/05nov/agenda/fecframe.txt

As many of you will be aware, there is increasing interest in applying
FEC to media streams in a variety of environments, but a notable lack of
IETF protocols to support that in a way which is independent of the
actual FEC code used. This would would aim to address that in a way
which is as far of possible generic with respect to transport and
application protocols as well.

Regards,

Mark Watson

_______________________________________________
tsvwg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tsvwg

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2005 09:57:03 -0800

Mark Watson wrote:
> draft-watson-tsgwg-fec-sf-00 which I presented at TSVWG and AVT at IETF63.)

This is a little confusing; in the IETF, transport happens over IP, not
the other way around. And the term flows applies to IPv6, but not as
well to IPv4.

Do you mean FEC of unreliable transport flows over IP? (that seems what
the BOF is talking about)?

> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>