Subject: [Tsvwg] TCP port names option ID discussion on TCPM

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 15:46:15 -0700

Hi, all,

In response to some discussion on the IETF mailing list, the following
ID has been submitted. It's intended to become a TCPM work item (thus
the header) if there's sufficient interest. I'm cross-posting here
because the doc does address one possible UDP variant, as well as the
potential for use in SCTP and DCCP.

PLEASE TAKE FURTHER DISCUSSION TO THE TCPM LIST ([email-masked])

For the original discussion, see the [email-masked] archives, and look
for "Guidance needed on well known ports".

The draft available at the following URL until it's in the ID repositories:
http://www.isi.edu/touch/pubs/draft-touch-tcp-portnames-00.txt

Joe

- ----

TCPM WG                                                        J. Touch
Internet Draft                                                  USC/ISI
Expires: October 2006                                    April 14, 2006

                        A TCP Option for Port Names
                     draft-touch-tcp-portnames-00.txt
...
Abstract

   This document specifies a new TCP option that specifies services by a
   string name. This option separates the use of port numbers for
   connection demultiplexing from their use as a service identifier. The
   option allows a larger number of concurrent connections for a
   particular service, as well as potentially enabling more explicitly
   coordination of services behind NATs and firewalls. This option
   should be supported in new TCP implementations.