Subject: AW: [Tsvwg] SCTP Path and Assoc Max Retransmissions

From: "Meyknecht, Bernward" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 10:49:37 +0200

Hello Armando, Subhashini,

I think an implementation should also decide on association outage
(reporting comm. lost to ULP and closing the assoc.) when the last 
path fails. That way the dormant state is avoided.
Don't know right now if that's suggested by RFC or implementer's 
guide, but maybe it should...

Kind regards,

Bernward

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Armando L. Caro, Jr. [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Gesendet: Montag, 15. Mai 2006 17:53
An: sksubha
Cc: [email-masked]
Betreff: Re: [Tsvwg] SCTP Path and Assoc Max Retransmissions

The RFC recommended value for Path.Max.Retrans is 5. Conceptually, you
_could_ think of setting Association.Max.Retrans to Path.Max.Restrans *
num of paths. If I remember correctly, the RFC suggests setting
Association.Max.Retrans to 10, but also says that
Association.Max.Retrans should be less than or equal to Path.Max.Retrans
* num of paths. Otherwise the association could end up in the dormant
state, where all paths are declared failed, but the association remains
alive.

Note: the protocol doesn't break down if you don't follow this
recommendation, but it is advisable to avoid the dormant state.

-- 
Armando
www.armandocaro.net

sksubha wrote:
> Hello,
> 
>  As per RFC 2960, the recommended values for Association Max.
> Retransmission and Path Max. Retransmission are 10 and 5 respectively.
> Are these values with the consideration of single path per association?
> What should be the values of these parameters, if there are 4 interfaces
> (paths) on the Multi-homed end point?
> 
> thanks,
> Subhashini ...