Subject: [Tsvwg] SCTP Path and Assoc Max Retransmissions

From: sksubha <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 20:29:21 +0530

Hello,

  As per RFC 2960, the recommended values for Association Max. 
Retransmission and Path Max. Retransmission are 10 and 5 respectively. 
Are these values with the consideration of single path per association? 
What should be the values of these parameters, if there are 4 interfaces 
(paths) on the Multi-homed end point?

thanks,
Subhashini ...

---

From: "Armando L. Caro, Jr." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 11:52:34 -0400

The RFC recommended value for Path.Max.Retrans is 5. Conceptually, you
_could_ think of setting Association.Max.Retrans to Path.Max.Restrans *
num of paths. If I remember correctly, the RFC suggests setting
Association.Max.Retrans to 10, but also says that
Association.Max.Retrans should be less than or equal to Path.Max.Retrans
* num of paths. Otherwise the association could end up in the dormant
state, where all paths are declared failed, but the association remains
alive.

Note: the protocol doesn't break down if you don't follow this
recommendation, but it is advisable to avoid the dormant state.

-- 
Armando
www.armandocaro.net