Subject: [Tsvwg] Upcoming work on Localized RSVP and RSVP Proxy

From: Francois Le Faucheur <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 11:31:43 -0400

Hello,

Based on a discussion with Jukka earlier today, this is just to  
announce our proposed upcoming work on Localized RSVP and RSVP Proxy  
and solicit feed-back.

Background:
==========

Jukka et al submitted several versions of a localized RSVP I-D. This  
effectively:
	- focused on some use cases for non-end-to-end signaling and RSVP  
Proxying (ie in mobile phone space)
	- proposed some RSVP extensions for controlling the RSVP Proxy  
through RSVP signaling, intended for Experimental track
	- also discussed some other RSVP extensions related to force refresh  
of RSVP states in case of routing change (which are actually  
orthogonal to RSVP Proxy)

A long time ago, there has been several I-Ds (now extinct) which  
effectively:
	- focused on some other use cases for non-end-to-end signaling and  
RSVP Proxying (eg Enterprise)
	- described RSVP Proxy behavior

Personally, as I now see commercial implementations of RSVP Proxy  
becoming available and see deployment plans involving those, I see a  
need for standardizing such RSVP proxy behaviors and non-end-to-end  
signaling scenarios.

Moving Ahead:
===========

Jukka and and I propose to work in the coming months on:
	- one I-D that will:
		* provide a framework for non-end-to-end RSVP signaling and the use  
of RSVP Proxy functions
		* describe key use cases
		* clarify that RSVP proxy can be controlled in several ways (eg by  
config, by application level sig, by new RSVP sig extensions)
		* specify RSVP Proxy behavior when controlled by other means than  
new RSVP sig
		* be intended for Standards track
	- one I-D that will:
		* specify just the RSVP sig extensions required to control RSVP  
Proxy behavior through RSVP
		* be intended for Experimental track
	- possibly a separate I-D discussing the RSVP extensions related to  
force refresh of RSVP states in case of routing change

Comments/Thoughts?

Cheers

Francois & Jukka

---

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2006 12:59:39 -0500

<Chair hat off>

I'm in favor of this moving forward.