Subject: [Tsvwg] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-tsvwg-quickstart-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 15:50:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Transport Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Quick-Start for TCP and IP
	Author(s)	: S. Floyd, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-tsvwg-quickstart-05.txt,.ps
	Pages		: 92
	Date		: 2006-7-26
	
This document specifies an optional Quick-Start mechanism for
transport protocols, in cooperation with routers, to determine an
allowed sending rate at the start and at times in the middle of a
data transfer (e.g., after an idle period).  While Quick-Start is
designed to be used by a range of transport protocols, in this
document we only specify its use with TCP.  Quick-Start is designed
to allow connections to use higher sending rates when there is
significant unused bandwidth along the path and the sender and all
of the routers along the path approve the Quick-Start Request.

This document describes many paths where Quick-Start requests would
not be approved.  These paths include all paths containing routers,
IP tunnels, MPLS paths, and the like that do not support Quick-
Start.  These paths also include paths with routers or middleboxes
that drop packets containing IP options.  Quick-Start requests could
be difficult to approve over paths that include multi-access layer-
two networks.  This document also describes environments where the
Quick-Start process could fail with false positives, with the sender
incorrectly assuming that the Quick-Start request had been approved
by all of the routers along the path.  As a result of these
concerns, and as a result of the difficulties and seeming absence of
motivation for routers such as core routers to deploy Quick-Start,
Quick-Start is being proposed as a mechanism that could be of use in
controlled environments, and not as a mechanism that would be
intended or appropriate for ubiquitous deployment in the global
Internet.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-quickstart-05.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-tsvwg-quickstart-05.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-quickstart-05.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.