Subject: [Tsvwg] New ECN-MPLS draft

From: Bruce Davie <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 12:04:37 -0400

A revised version of the ECN-MPLS draft that I presented at the last  
IETF is now available at
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-davie-ecn-mpls-01.txt

I have requested time to discuss it at the TSVWG meeting in San  
Diego. It is my hope that this WG could adopt it as a work item,  
since the home of ECN expertise is in this group. (As I learned at  
the last IETF, it's harder to explain ECN to the MPLS WG than it is  
to explain the usage of a 3 bit header field to people who already  
understand ECN).

Below is a summary of the changes in the new draft, which were made  
in response to comments made on the list and at the last IETF meeting.

If you have opinions about the draft's adoption by TSVWG, or other  
comments, please post them to this list.

Bruce Davie

1.1.  Changes From Previous (-00) Version

   o  Corrected the description of ECN-MPLS marking proposed in
       [Shayman], which closely corresponds to that proposed in this
       document.

    o  Pre-congestion notification (PCN) marking is now described in a
       way that does not require normative references to PCN
       specifications.  PCN discussion now serves only to illustrate how
       the ECN marking concepts can be extended to cover more complex
       scenarios, with PCN being an example.

    o  Added specification of behavior when MPLS encapsulated packets
       cross from an ECN-enabled domain to a domain that is not ECN-
       enabled.

    o  Clarified that copying MPLS ECN or PCN marking into exposed IP
       header on egress is not mandatory

    o  Fixed typos and nits