Subject: [Tsvwg] IANA dynamic port range for SCTP

From: "Vadim Borisov" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 17:02:57 +0300

Hello,

I've got a question about IANA considerations for SCTP.
I wasn't able to find if SCTP should fully support IANA port reservation.
There are some words about "well-known" ports in RFC2960 Ch.13 but
it's unclear about "Registered Ports" and "Dynamic and/or Private
Ports" ranges specified by IANA.
Particularly, should SCTP generate port from "Dynamic and/or Private
Ports" for INITIALIZE primitive if local port is not specified? (the
range is from 49152 through 65535)
Or is it implementation specific issue?
Please clarify.

Thank you in advance,
Vadim Borisov

---

From: "Brian F. G. Bidulock" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 13:35:11 -0700

Vadim,

I believe it was the intention that SCTP be no different from TCP or
UDP in this regard: port numbers being a rather transport independent
concept.  I believe that most SCTP implementations allocate dynamic
port numbers in the same fashion as the native TCP implementation,
which itself tends to be implementation specific, at least with regard
to the specific dynamic port range used.

--brian

Vadim Borisov wrote:                        (Wed, 08 Nov 2006 17:02:57)

-- 
Brian F. G. Bidulock
[email-masked]
http://www.openss7.org/

---

From: Michael Tuexen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 04:48:13 +0100

Hi Brian,

that is correct.

Best regards
Michael

---

From: "Vadim Borisov" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 12:54:29 +0300

Hi,

Michael, Brian, thanks a lot for clarification.

It means that our implementation is right when using dynamic port
range from 16384 to 65535.

Best regards,
Vadim

---

From: Michael Tuexen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 14:35:41 +0100

Hi Vadim,

I would suggest to use the provate/dynamic port numbers 49152 to 65535.

Best regards
Michael