Subject: [Tsvwg] BCP 124, RFC 4774 on Specifying Alternate Semantics for the Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) Field

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 15:01:39 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        BCP 124        
        RFC 4774

        Title:      Specifying Alternate Semantics for the 
                    Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) Field 
        Author:     S. Floyd
        Status:     Best Current Practice
        Date:       November 2006
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      15
        Characters: 37144
        Updates:    
        See-Also:   BCP0124

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-alternates-02.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4774.txt

There have been a number of proposals for alternate semantics for
the Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) field in the IP header
RFC 3168.  This document discusses some of the issues in defining
alternate semantics for the ECN field, and specifies requirements for
a safe coexistence in an Internet that could include routers that do
not understand the defined alternate semantics.  This document evolved
as a result of discussions with the authors of one recent proposal for
such alternate semantics.  This document specifies an Internet Best 
Current Practices for the Internet Community, and requests discussion 
and suggestions for improvements.

This document is a product of the Transport Area Working Group
Working Group of the IETF.

This document specifies an Internet Best Current Practices for the
Internet Community, and requests discussion and suggestions for
improvements.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...