Subject: [Tsvwg] admitted-realtime-dscp-03

From: "Voce, Daniel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 10:19:48 -0500

Fred et al,

The draft looks to be in good shape, only a few comments for
consideration:

1. In sec 2.2, before enumerating the five capacity admission
techniques, it would be useful to add some text that indicates why these
are considered to be the five predominate approaches. The text can
illuminate control/mgmt plane techniques vs. pure data plane techniques
that attempt to rely solely on the use of DSCP(s) for end-to-end
admission control, and highlight the issues with the latter technique in
maintaining QoS for remaining lower precedence calls, lack of feedback
on preemption, etc (as per draft-baker-tsvwg-mlef-concerns).  While this
may be a topic of the past in some corners, it's not clear to me that it
is universally.  Further published guidance from the IETF on this topic
would be helpful.  The discussion would also help set the context for
section 2.2 and clarify why the I-D focuses on these five.

2. Section 1.2: suggest changing the phrase "routine
customer-to-customer IP telephony sessions" to "non-capacity admitted
customer-to-customer IP telephony sessions".  The word "routine" here
might get confused with the precedence level of the same name in MLPP

3. Section 3: The phrase "If preemption is in view..." is slightly
confusing. How about "If preemption is required ..."?

-Dan