Subject: [Tsvwg] SCTP: ABORT chunk on remote side when Endpoint is destroyed

From: "Andrey Konstantinov" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 10:12:20 +0300

Hi, experts!

Please, help me with understanding of one important aspect of SCTP
functionality.
When user decides to destroy an SCTP endpoint, it sends ULP primitive
DESTROY. Upon recieving of this primitive, SCTP should simply destroy
concerned endpoint (according to RFC 4960, ch. 10.1, letter P).

It is obvious that alive related associations shall be destroyed too. But
the question is:

Should SCTP send ABORT chunks when SCTP endpoint is being destroyed?
Can we suppose that it is RFC uncompiance if SCTP does not send ABORT chunk
when SCTP endpoint is being destroyed?

Thanks in advance,
Andrey

---

From: Vlad Yasevich <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 10:04:22 -0500

Andrey Konstantinov wrote:
> It is obvious that alive related associations shall be destroyed too. 
> But the question is:
>  
> Can we suppose that it is RFC uncompiance if SCTP does not send ABORT 
> chunk when SCTP endpoint is being destroyed?

The primitives are a bit terse in their text, but you could reason out
that all associations for a given SCTP instance should be destroyed.
Whether the are gracefully terminated or aborted is implementation
dependent.
 
-vlad