Subject: [Tsvwg] Need info about connect behavior at SCTP when backlog limitis reached

From: "Ramaiah, Chaitra M (STSD)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 11:05:46 +0530

Hi All,

  I have a question regarding how connect should behave for SCTP sockets
when the listen backlog is reached. To elaborate, the server opens a 1-1
SCTP socket, binds and listens with a backlog of 1 and does not do a
accept. The client opens two sockets and connects to the server for the
two sockets. The first connect should go through fine as there is room
for one connection indication. What should happen when we issue the
second connect? For TCP the second connect will just timeout and connect
will return ETIMEDOUT after 75 seconds. What should be the behavior for
SCTP? Should it be on par with TCP and just ignore the request or should
it reply back with ABORT for the INIT initiated by the second connect?
Thanks in advance for your reply.

Regards,
Chaitra

---

From: Michael Tuexen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 15:02:08 +0100

Hi Chaitra,

it is not specified how the server behaves when it receives the
second INIT chunk. It can send back an ABORT or an INIT-ACK.
When the COOKIE is received it can also send back an ABORT
or just no COOKIE-ACK. Not sending back the COOKIE-ACK might
be a good choice when the situation at the server side clears
before the retransmission of the COOKIE arrives, so the association
can be established.

Best regards
Michael