Subject: [Tsvwg] Adopting an update of the port registration rules in RFC 2780 as WG item?

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 17:54:56 +0100

Hi,

In Vancouver Michelle Cotton (IANA) presented about the desire to revise 
the port registration rules. See the slides and minutes for more info:
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/07dec/slides/tsvarea-1/sld1.htm
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/07dec/minutes/tsvarea.txt

Since then, IANA, we ADs, and some IETF participants include transport 
directorate members have continue discussing this and started preparing 
a document to accomplish this update.

As this work seems a good fit to TSVWG we ADs would like to determine if 
there is consensus to adopt this work as WG item? Please provide your 
input into the question.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

IETF Transport Area Director & TSVWG Chair
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 11:57:40 -0500

Is the plan to continue to have a _paid_ expert ? Is there really  
enough work to
justify that ?

Regards
Marshall

On Feb 1, 2008, at 11:54 AM, Magnus Westerlund wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In Vancouver Michelle Cotton (IANA) presented about the desire to  
> revise the port registration rules. See the slides and minutes for  
> more info:
> Since then, IANA, we ADs, and some IETF participants include  
> transport directorate members have continue discussing this and  
> started preparing a document to accomplish this update.
>
> As this work seems a good fit to TSVWG we ADs would like to  
> determine if there is consensus to adopt this work as WG item?  
> Please provide your input into the question.
>
> Cheers
>
> Magnus Westerlund
>

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 18:04:11 +0100

Marshall Eubanks skrev:
> Is the plan to continue to have a _paid_ expert ? Is there really enough 
> work to
> justify that ?
> 

Hi Marshall,

The plan is to get rid of the paid expert. And clarify the rules and the 
guidance regarding port registrations.

We are not talking any monster document here, but we need something that 
updates RFC 2780. Taking this on in the transport area seems to be a 
good fit and should also result in more input than what an AD sponsored 
document would.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 17:27:25 +0100

Hi,

I would like to get some more feedback on this. Please provide any 
comments by the 28th of February.

Cheers

Magnus

Magnus Westerlund skrev:
> * PGP Signed by an unknown key: 02/01/2008 at 05:55:03 PM
> Hi,
> 
> * Unknown Key
> * 0x97856ED9

-- 

Magnus Westerlund

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 17:05:35 +0100

Hi,

A first draft on these updates are now available:
http://tools.ietf.org/wg/tsvwg/draft-cotton-tsvwg-iana-ports-00.txt

Cheers

Magnus

Magnus Westerlund skrev:
>> > Old Signed by an unknown key: 02/01/2008 at 05:55:03 PM
>> Hi,
>>
>> directorate members have continue discussing this and started 
>> preparing a document to accomplish this update.
>>
>> As this work seems a good fit to TSVWG we ADs would like to determine 
>> if there is consensus to adopt this work as WG item? Please provide 
>> your input into the question.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Magnus Westerlund
>>

-- 

Magnus Westerlund