Subject: Re: [Tsvwg] Nits in draft-ietf-tsvwg-admitted-realtime-dscp-04

From: Bob Briscoe <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 17:34:26 +0100

Fred,

[I've had email disconnectivity problems recently on all my email 
addresses. I've been trawling down the tsvwg hypermail archive to see 
what I missed. Next few mails will reply by reconstructing your mails 
from the archive]:

All your points accepted, except one...

>Bob Briscoe wrote:
>>Para 1: Not clear what you mean by 'edge network'.
>
>Networks that are not (at least in the given instance) transit 
>networks. Networks at the edges. Taken in the context of the words 
>at the other end of the sentence, networks that depend on other 
>networks that can be characterized as "the Internet Backbone".

If this is what you meant, I disagree. Context:
"
    In the context of the Internet backbone, the two are essentially
    equivalent; the edge network is depending on specific engineering by
    the service provider that may not be present.
"
I don't think you really mean that where a network sits in the 
topology determines whether telephony will be need to be 
distinguished from video. The need is based on the speed of the 
links, not whether the network is at the edge. Yes, there's of course 
a correlation, but you don't need to distinguish telephony and video 
on all links in all edge networks. Only on relatively slow links.

Needs fixing, otherwise this doc will look silly in a few years time.

Bob

____________________________________________________________________________
Bob Briscoe, <[email-masked]>      Networks Research Centre, BT Research
B54/77 Adastral Park,Martlesham Heath,Ipswich,IP5 3RE,UK.    +44 1473 645196

---

From: "DOLLY, MARTIN C, ATTLABS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 12:42:32 -0400

Bob,

In the BIG backbone there is a need to make a distinguish for
performance, and there is a difference between  the core access and BIG
core backbone get provisioned. Some of it has to deal with trust.

Martin  

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Bob Briscoe
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2008 12:34 PM
To: Fred Baker
Cc: POLK, James; tsvwg IETF list
Subject: Re: [Tsvwg] Nits in draft-ietf-tsvwg-admitted-realtime-dscp-04

Fred,

Bob

________________________________________________________________________
____
Bob Briscoe, <[email-masked]>      Networks Research Centre, BT
Research
B54/77 Adastral Park,Martlesham Heath,Ipswich,IP5 3RE,UK.    +44 1473
645196