Subject: [Tsvwg] Does sctp_sendmsg send the message to alternate path if primary path fails?

From: "Sridhar Bhaskaran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 15:16:00 +0530

Hi,

Assume that I have an SCTP association setup between hosts A and B.
Both the hosts A and B are multihomed and they both bind their SCTP
socket to two interfaces.

The sctp_sendmsg API takes a pointer to "sockaddr" as a parameter
indicating the address of the destination. I call sctp_sendmsg from
host A setting the "to" parameter to the address of host B's primary
IP address. If the link to host B's primary interface fails then since
the association is multihomed, does sctp_sendmsg takes care of sending
the message to host B's alternate addresses?

-- 
Sridhar Bhaskaran

---

From: Michael Tüxen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 15:41:52 +0200

Hi Sridhar,

if the association is established the SCTP stack will use
the provided address as a hint. It will send it if the path
is reachable. In case of retransmissions or if the path
is not reachable it will use other paths.

Best regards
Michael